Trumpet Discussion Discuss College audition pieces...reccomendations? in the General forums; Hi folks, My college auditions require that I prepare 2 classical trumpet pieces of contrasting style. Any suggestions of good ...
    New Friend

College audition pieces...reccomendations?

Hi folks,
    My college auditions require that I prepare 2 classical trumpet pieces of contrasting style. Any suggestions of good pieces to use?
    My lesson teacher reccomended using one of the Arban's characteristic studies (I'd probably use 1, 11, or 12) for a faster piece. Opinions?
    I have no idea where to start looking for slower, pretty pieces. I'm looking for something maybe Danny Boy-esque or like the slow section of Gustav Holtz's Jupiter...I'm not really sure what's out there.
    I'm pretty open to anything skill level wise. My concert band plays meaty 5s all the time, so I could probably take on something a little more difficult if you know of a good piece.
    Oh, also, minimal difficulty on the accompianment (sp?) or no piano at all if possible b/c I have to find my own accompianist and it would probably just end up being a friend of mine (who has been playing for 10 years, but she gets nervous when she performs).

New Friend
    I'm also preparing for college auditions. Some of the easier songs would be Andante et Allegro by Guy Ropartz or Goedicke's Concert Etude. The more difficult songs recommended are things like Haydn's Concerto in Eb and the Hummel Concerto.

Think of your audition as a mini-performance. Arban Characteristic
    Studies are great for auditions, but go into it like you're preparing them for a musical performance, because that's what any audience (be it an audition panel or audience members at a concert) is looking for.

Piano User
    Things like Goedicke Concert Etude, Arban page 285, ahh, things like that would be great for the technical side of your audition.

Otto Kettings' Intrada for trumpet solo shows off everything a trumpet player needs to have except high chops. Fast, slow, lyrical, martial, double and triple tonguing. Above all, this piece has not been played to death! I find it to be a real jewel! In concert, I start playing from off stage and walk on during the first couple of bars. At the end, I do just the opposite.
    After that you could play something sweet like the second movement of the Haydn.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User
    Salisbury, MD
    That's nice - Intrada followed by the 2nd movement of Haydn. I'd vote for that for the very same reasons that rowuk said. Great suggestion. The other pieces mentioned are nice as well.

Saint Paul, MN
    I like the Barat pieces for this they also show both sides of playing and don't overlook things like the Fitzgerald transcriptions of Baroque things. Clarke solos (I did Shores of the Mighty Pacific for my undergraduate and Debutante for grad school) or Arban solos work well too. I also used Charlier #2 for audition at some point in time too.
    Per aspera ad astra

Thread Information