Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss College Search in the General forums; Originally Posted by crazytrmpetnerd9 Im in my junior year of high school now and am starting to look at where ...
    Piano User
    Richland, MO

Re: College Search

Quote Originally Posted by crazytrmpetnerd9 View Post
    Im in my junior year of high school now and am starting to look at where I could possibly pursue music in college. I have looked at schools such as Oberlin, Ithaca, Hartt, Eastman, Boston U... I am most likely looking for a school where I can study music and maybe take academics as well and have been shying away from schools like Berklee for this reason. I know in the end it is ultimately what I like best, but any suggestions on where I should look next or input on these schools would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance
    What's the end goal? This is a VERY important decision. You need to be thinking about jobs in 4 years. What job would you like to do? This is the most important factor in your choice IMHO. If you can't see yourself being good enough to make a living playing trumpet, music performance may not be your calling. I know LOTS of guys with performance degrees that are trying desperately to find jobs in the music field. A lot of them wind up going back to school for something else, or just being content to work at a music store for 10 bucks an hour.

Not a bad thing by any means, liking your job is more important than money IMO, but it's something to think about. If your going to teach, just be educated about the market where your planning to work and be realistic in your expectations. Music education is a great field!
    Bach 37
    4MC/NY BB

Re: College Search

Don't forget to shop trumpet teachers. Go and take a lesson from the teachers at schools in which you are interested. If you are a performance major, that will be one of your most important considerations. If you want to go in-state (save your parents a bundle on tuition) you might let us know where that is, you will probably get good specific recommendations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information