Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Come back player embouchure question! in the General forums; Congrats on the comeback. I also started playing again after not touching my horn for 7 years. Definately take it ...
    New Friend

Re: Come back player embouchure question!

Congrats on the comeback. I also started playing again after not touching my horn for 7 years. Definately take it slow at first, 15 minutes at a time MAX. My first few days back my tone was shaky and my range was horrible. By the end of my first week I was more steady and could crack a high C. After three weeks I am on a solid high D and smooth and steady and can play for almost 45 minutes full range without fatigue. My embouchure was never "text book" but it always worked for me. I have alot more upper lip than lower lip in the mouthpiece and was always criticised for it by my teachers.

Bach 180ML 37 Strad w M/K rounded Sterling tuning slide
    Stomvi Mambo
    72 Olds Super Star Ultra Sonic-- Original and near mint condition
    79 B&S Exquisit B-flat

Monette B4S
    Monette B4L
    Bach 1.5C in GP
    Shilke 12A4a

Piano User

I think that because your just getting back to playing,your range should be the last thing to think about.A nice clear high "C",what you had before is what you should shoot for say in the next 6 to 12 months.Judging on what you wrote,you allready know what to practice (arban,clarke ect.) so just start it up.I myself stop playing for 30 years and have been playing for the past 10 years .You probably could play 95% of all music ever written for trumpet with that nice solid high c range of yours anyway.Good Luck

Piano User
    White Marsh, VA

Hey VS, welcome to the "revival"....I came back 16 months ago after setting it down for 27+ years. IT WILL COME BACK, give it time and it will be there again, even better than the first time (mho). Stay off the octave key & practice, quit when you're tired, play when you can, enjoy that wonderous sound again. It's addictive......just like the first time.....chuck
    "I don't take my music lightly, I want it crushed by the horn section."

I was off for about 16 years. When I played younger, I played on center and have a mismatch on my lower teeth right in the middle. Growing up, it worked itself into a callus on the inner lip. After 16 years, the callus was no longer there and I could no longer use that position to have my embouchure. I HAD to change my embouchure. Now this has worked well for me, but, would not suggest it right off. Get to know playing again and see what feels right for you. But, take it slow, get your sound back. The fact that you have scales going and your wife is surprised, is good. You are already moving forward. Keep going. Good luck.

Evansville In

Thought I would add my $0.02. We have some similarities. I did the comeback thing a few years ago. I'm also an engineer. I laid off a decade more than you and I was not much of a trumpeter back in high school. So you have me in the skill area. I did decide to change the embouchure "because I was playing as bad as I was in high school". Now I'm having a lot more fun, I can play for a couple of hours in concert, and have an octave more in range than I had in high school, and my sound and articulation have improved orders of magnitude. I tried the lessons - but my schedule simply upset the teacher with all my cancellations - even though I paid him for all the missed classes. And he spoke greek to me anyway.

But I changed because I was terrible. Sounds like you have a lot going for you. Might want to wait a bit before you go messing with it. Try the practice routine for a while - that seems to be the best cure.

But welcome to the club and the fun.
    Old Dam Community Band
    Olds Recording
    B&S Challenger II Cornet
    Conn 6B
    Conn 36B
    Stomvi Elite
    King Flugel
    Getzen Eterna

Long Island, NY USA

I'm a comeback player also. It was about the same amount of time you took off. I found it much easier to play again. I surpassed myself and I was shocked. You can't expect to get the high register right away. It'll take practice to get back up there. I say go for it. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information