Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss comeback method in the General forums; does anyone have any suggestions on method books for a comeback player? your input would be greatly apprecieted. Mark...
    m d
    New Friend
    Reading Pa.

Smile comeback method

does anyone have any suggestions on method books for a comeback player? your input would be greatly apprecieted. Mark

Piano User
    Jacksonville, FL

Re: comeback method

Clarkes,or Rubanks.

And oh yea, a teacher. HE will tell you which one.
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

New Friend

Patience is the most important thing to remember. Use the same studies you used when you were playing such as Clark, Schlossberg and Arbans. However tackle just a little everyday until your chops build back up. Doing too much too soon will only build frustration.
    Good luck,
    Spit Valve

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

I liked to pick up ancient method books and just play out of them. I generally didn't use Arban's because it got too tough too fast. Clarke's Elementary and Rubank were my first exercises until I picked up the Harry James Trumpet Method. That was a lot of fun.

Patience is definitely the key. Also, even if you don't get regular lessons, one or two to get checked out is a good thing.

Get a teacher and make the invest in time really worthwhile. Like most things in life, the things you learn from a more experienced person saves a lot of mistakes and gets you up to speed quickest.

There is a DYI crowd here, but I have yet to read any really convincing arguments.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Tigard, Oregon

Just picked up a copy of Walter Beeler's method book and it might be a good repalcement for Rubanks, although that's still what I use for teaching. I'll also add Getchell both volumes.

Pianissimo User
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY

I decided to go back on the path I'd taken as a child, and picked up the Breeze-Easy books I'd had, as well as the Hering Forty Progressive Etudes. It's been interesting for the memories as well as for the playing, and an interesting path of unteaching myself problems my later teachers told me I had developed early.

There's plenty of controversy here in earlier threads about teachers and DIY. My perspective definitely leans toward the DIY side, but I'd suggest that the main reasons for getting a teacher are ambition and impatience. If you clearly want to be a great trumpeter, sure, get a teacher. And if you want to expand your range quickly, I think you definitely need a teacher to avoid injuring yourself.

I'm less ambitious and more patient, and it's going well.
    Simon St.Laurent
    Bach TR300 / 5C
    "Maestro" valve trombone
    "Orpheum Super" slide trombone
    Jupiter Brigadier Bugle
    Jupiter JST-314L slide trumpet

New Friend

Go with a teacher Mark. I'm going into my second year on the comeback trail. My coach has taken me to a place where folks that heard me last year can't get over how I've progessed. He's taught me to transcribe and transpose too- I'm arranging stuff and have met several people to work with. Can't beat doing it right the first time out. -Ed

Look around on this site using the search feature. I'm sure there are MANY threads on this topic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information