Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Community Band in the General forums; does "your community" have a noise ordanance... ....sorry, just could'nt help it....
    Pianissimo User
    Middle of Georgia

Re: Community Band

does "your community" have a noise ordanance...

....sorry, just could'nt help it.

Fortissimo User
    East Yorkshire

Miserable so and sos, Start your own band and do better, maybe louder too

Pianissimo User
    Central Texas

I understand the frustration, but I don't understand the anger everyone is expressing. I thought it was explained pretty clearly how it was a "charter" issue. A lot of these "retirement communities" are springing up now. Many have all sorts of clubs, facilities, and sub-groups (woodworking shops, workout facilities, musical groups, golf courses, computer facilities, etc.), and they all seem to have rather strict rules about "community members only", and/or minimum age limits.

For whatever reasons, they tend to isolate themselves, for good or bad, usually driven by the developer of the area, if not the people living there on their own. It is what it is, and crying foul is really sort of pointless.

I encountered a rather different situation recently, but similarly limiting, with a county-wide "Symphony Orchestra". They are primarily amateur adult performers, with a few retired pros, music educators, and even a few really stellar high school students performing. They originally started out with only 15 musicians about a decade ago, but now number > 80 members. I inquired into joining them, and found out that they are "full" on pretty much all sections now, seat 3 trumpets, and with a waiting list to audition for them if anyone leaves. This is both good and bad, it's good because it means there are a lot of musicians in the area that want to perform (and pay a fee to do so to cover music, transportation costs, etc.). It's bad because I can't even get a tryout possibly for months or years.

Luckily there are other groups around, including one I found that is for 45+ years of age players primarily, conducted by a former university conductor, but it's quite a long drive for me. Seemingly the problem in this area is there are more people that want to play music than there are organizations to give them all performance opportunities.
    Last edited by RandyTx; 04-05-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information