Quote Originally Posted by bandman View Post
I have used Garage Band when I was teaching. You are correct in that it will do what I want it to do. My daughter uses a Mac and I have grown to love it, but I use a Windows 7 PC and I really do not have the funds to update right now. Iím trying to put it off as long as possible.
I chose to download Audacity. I own a digital microphone so Iím set up there. I found some great tutorials on YouTube. I am a visual learner so that has been great. Tomorrow just for fun I will record some of the duets out of the Arban just to play with the settings. After that I will try some easy 3-8 part ensembles but Iím going to get into this slow and easy.

I wish I had thought of this when I was a band director. I loved doing my own arrangements and even wrote a few original pieces that ended up at festivals and concerts. I could have done my own demo recordings on all the instruments.

Maybe Check out the stuff by PGMusic (www.pgmusic.com/)
The multitrack s/w PowerTracks Pro Audio - while debatable if it's pro...is pretty cheap and, of course, has more music-oriented features than Audacity.
Maybe you're already familiar with Band in a Box, being a music director...