Trumpet Discussion Discuss Concone Studies in the General forums; My instructor gave me a copy to see of the Donald S. Reinhardt Selection of Concone Studies For Trumpet or ...
    Pianissimo User

Concone Studies

My instructor gave me a copy to see of the Donald S. Reinhardt Selection of Concone Studies For Trumpet or Cornet Pivot System Series Book 3.
    Is this ok to use for and Audition for somethinh Lyrical. Also is this the most popular Concone Lyrical Studies book.
    Bb: Bach Stradivarius 43* (Gold PLated)
    C: Bach Stradivarius 229S (H pipe)
    Pic: Yamaha 9830 Custom
    Bach Megatone 1-1/4C
    Bb: Conn Vintage One (1BR)
    Flugel: Kanstul 1525 (Signature)
    Bach Megatone 1-1/4C
    Warbuton FL 1

Utimate User
    I don't know the specific edition you referred to but the Concone studies I know are lovely. Depending on what you're auditioning for they can be perceived as appropriate or too easy.

For an audition, you need to show that you understand how to phrase and make a line beautiful but you also need to show that you are up to the challenge of interval leaps, wide slurs... things like that, if you're going for a position somewhere that needs a solid, confident player. That goes for a youth orchestra audition as well as a college audiition.

Lyrical... what does that really mean? To me it is a slower piece but it doesn't necesarily mean there are no challenges to your technique. I just came off stage from playing the suite from Copland's "Billy the Kid" and there is a "lyrical" solo in the midde. depending on how you choose to pace this rubato melody, it can be challenging or safe. The thrill is in the danger of rhythms and the wider slurs. On the second half, I'll be playing Gershwin's "An American in Paris" and again, there is a lyrical solo to play that can be safe and easy or a little more dangerous depending on what you do with the dynamics and pacing.

So, you get my drift: it all depends on what sort of case you make for the piece you're playing. This is why I'm such an advocate of the Arbn solos in the back of the book. There are many slow, lyrical introductions which require some faster subdivided notes. Thirtysecond notes and whatnot. They can be lyrical, challenging, and lovely also.

Thread Information