Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Confessions of a 3rd trumpet; a cautionary tale. in the General forums; I have just had my 50 th birthday and it isbasically (I think) the second anniversary of my comeback. The ...

Confessions of a 3rd trumpet; a cautionary tale.

I have just had my 50th birthday and it isbasically (I think) the second anniversary of my comeback.

The first year was spent learning music fundamentals through the Rubank Elementary System (loved it). But as I progressed in range and endurance, I had questions my teacher could not answer because she was a double reedsperson. She was/is a great teacher. I eventually found a trumpet teacher with excellent credentials. I have spent the past year focused on the physical aspects of playing using Clarke, Schlossberg, and some home grown approaches with Don Johnson, Rainer Schmidt. Range and endurance shot through the roof (relativeto the previous year). However, I got caught (my own fault) in mental trap ofplaying the exercises as an end unto themselves. I totally neglected music fundamentals. While it was great to have such progress inthe physical aspects of playing, all the tone, range, endurance, and articulation means nothing without something to say musically (quote from JohnThomas DVD).

Why do I say all this? It is because I lost a golden opportunity. I have access to music rooms where I work, and the conductor of the university concert band watched my dedication over the past year and asked if I would come out on third trumpet. When the baton came down I was paralyzed. My rhythm, counting, timing and sight reading skills are still at an elementary level. At difficult passages, I would slow down, get behind, and then get completely lost. I am lost most of the time except for the easiest of passages. So, I am “bowing-out”out of respect to the conductor and the rest of the ensemble who are at aconsiderably higher level than I am (i.e., university versus elementary). The conductor is a wonderful, kind, and patient man who has encouraged me to play for the first time in from of others. I owe him a great debit of gratitude. But, there is a moment of truth that I haveto face out of respect to the larger group.

Where am I now? Asa former body builder the next step is very clear. Maintain the strengths while attacking the weakness with a vengeance. So, I have joined a local community band. It attacks my weakness directly. Once aweek we get together for two hours and “sight read” the repertoire. There are over 90 pieces that we will have to practice over the year, to give weekly concerts during the summer. So, I will get “on the job” training wherein the cost of a scuffed note or getting lost is not as great as at a single “highbrow”event. My second practice session is now for pure music fundamentals. I have two books from the Colin’s catalog, “RhythmsComplete” and “Easy Steps to Rhythm” which I am using with a strict attention anduse of a metronome. My teacher and I are now focusing on sight-reading skills and during my trumpet lessons.

The advice on TM has been an excellent resource for me. I add this cautionary tale as I have read many posts over the past year and ignored the advice to “play music”, to my own detriment. I really understand now that I was “practice room warrior”. The past couple of months have been a very humbling experience. In closing, I want to say that I am now the youngest person in the trumpet section. The first trumpets are in their 80s. They play with such grace and power, if you closed your eyes, you would have no idea how old they are. I am glad to know that I have a future starting at 50. Playing in the community band is such a great "high".

Thank you all for your time, patience, and advice the past two years.

Best Wishes,

Last edited by BrotherBACH; 09-24-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    operagost, xjb0906 and BigDub like this.

Re: Confessions of a 3rd trumpet; a cautionary tale.

Old guys can really scare you. You don't expect the mastery that often comes from them.
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Woodlawn, VA

It IS true. Trumpet playing will make you a humble man. Glad to see that the experience didn't break you. Remember what the surfers around here say: "Success consists of getting up one more time then you fall down.
    LH123 likes this.
    Ed Fitzgerald
    1954 Olds Super w/Bach 43 uptilt bell Frankenhorn
    1968 Olds Recording Trumpet
    1965 Bach Stradivarius Model 37
    Yamaha Xeno Chicago Artist C Trumpet
    1956 Conn 80A Cornet
    1951 Olds Special Cornet
    1965 Olds L-12 Flugelhorn

"Hindsight is always 20-20"

"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

Mezzo Forte User
    Los Angeles

Thanks for sharing that. It's the old adage, isn't it? Work on your weaknesses, and while you thought you were-- you were improving thanks to your dedication to your routine-- you didn't pull out the metronome, some unfamiliar music and just shed away. In my 4.5 year comeback, I've had the great fortune to play in a symphony orchestra, funk bands, concert band, studio dates, a number of big bands and performed at everything from private parties to large outdoor venues (last night for 150 swilling souls at the Malibu Family Winery) alongside some pretty seasoned pros, and to the person, they practice so they can perform. I think Herseth said something like that, "don't practice, perform." It really is true. Nothing like some unfamiliar charts to get your blood going! Good luck.

xjb0906 likes this.

Charlotte NC

I know just how you feel. I worked on tone production at home on my own for about 8 months before playing with a group. It didn't take long for me to see what I was lacking in keeping time, and blending with the group. I am improving but still have plenty of work ahead of me. Hopefully I will live long enough to become a musician someday. You will continue to improve as well. Enjoy every moment of it.
    Marcinkiewicz CG 470 Bach 3C
    Buzz City Brass
    StarDusters Big Band

dubuque iowa

When you finally realise that intonation is only the tip of the iceberg that is musicianship its a scarry challenge to go on towards the goal. Ive played with lots of "hotdog" players who have skills I will never have but at the end of the day I rest assured that I held my own and outperformed most of them. When in doubt always ask yourself....would I enjoy listening to what Im playing or is it simply sounds stiched together. If you dont feel the music inside, it wont be felt by your listener either.

The best way to become a musician is to go beyond trumpet playing and be a part of something bigger than you can be alone and as stated above, that is a humbling thing that lots of egos dont take well to. Being in an ensamble and making MUSIC is what its all about. Finding the best way to get there is sometimes difficult because of circumstances so always say yes to an oportunity to play with a group. I'l bet if you had stayed in that university band and toughed it out you would have been rewarded with results. As a body builder you know that there is no shortcut to achievement and your time in community band is priceless at getting your goal as a musician. Its something we all are moving on toward but are never really sure where the goal finally is reached. A rule of thumb that I read here on TM long ago is "your a musician only if someone else says you are, not one minute sooner." Good luck and happy playing.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by edfitzvb View Post
    It IS true. Trumpet playing will make you a humble man. Glad to see that the experience didn't break you. Remember what the surfers around here say: "Success consists of getting up one more time then you fall down.

Disagree there. Trumpet players must develop a strong ego. They don't need to go around bragging about themselves. However to really blow this instrument one needs to adopt a confident attitude.

Humility doesn't really have much to do with it at all.
    Higgiq likes this.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Musicians do require confidence, but do not require conceit. The goal is to become so good we don't need an ego.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Mezzo Piano User
    State of Confusion

I always appreciate it when people share from their heart!!!
    two Olds Recordings -- 1 sold!
    Yamaha C trumpet YTR - 745
    Besson Eb/D trumpet
    Bach G trumpet - 2
    Bach Herald Trumpet
    Olds Ambassador - circa 1959 - Fullerton -- sold!!
    H.B.Jay Co. Columbia model trumpet 1910 gold plated
    Bach Stradivarius Trumpet
    Couesnon Lafayette Trumpet -- sold!

Austin, TX

First of all, congratulations on finding an ensemble to play with. I've found that it really pushes me to be better. I would also like to say that I sort of understand where you are coming from. My teacher has had me doing Clarke Studies, Arban tonguing, Schlossberg exercises and pedal tones along with some of his personal endurance workouts for a while now. I just recently joined a local wind ensemble here in town and when I sat down I realized that I got lost a lot. So now, reading has become a huge focus for me, and my teacher is helping me with it. I'm also learning the importance of learning my scales, as it makes the difficult passages in C# and E easier to have the muscle memory behind the music. And while you are 50, and I am the tender age of 27, we both have so much music to make, and time to play. I wish you nothing but luck on your journey BrotherBach. Perseverance! Please keep us posted on your progress, and take care!
    Evan Davis
    1962 Leblanc Paris
    '58 Olds Recording

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information