Trumpet Discussion Discuss Cool Down/Warm Down vs. not in the General forums; Ok, so you've done your practicing for the day or you just finished performing and you are about ready to ...

Cool Down/Warm Down vs. not

Ok, so you've done your practicing for the day or you just finished performing and you are about ready to put your horn away. I've been told to cool down (or warm down; which I like to call it since it doesnt really cool your lips down).

But I see a lot of people just put thier horns away without doing so. Warming down makes sense to me because its like any other muscle exercise. So after every time i play my horn, I make a routine to warm down. Just like I warm up.

What do you think about the cool down/warm daown? Do you think it necessary? If so, what do you think is the best way to do it?

all comments welcome,

Numb Chops

Re: Cool Down/Warm Down vs. not

I personally find warming down, the way most teachers teach it to be done, irrelevant - when in context that it must be done with the horn. I think that holding a horn up to your face longer, especially if your tired, can hurt just as much if you do it incorrectly as if to simply stop playing.

I just put my horn away and make that noise like a bi-plane or Model-T lol. Also, I've found it beneficial, at least for now without causing any damage, is to pull my lips in between my teeth individually, use my teeth to hold them there, and then push them out with my tongue so that I can feel each muscle stretching out as I push.

So, all in all, I think its important to warm down/cool down, but I don't think it's necessary that the horn has to be involved with other possible means available.

Piano User
    New Jersey

I warm down after a gig, rehearsal, or even a practic session. I have to or else I don't feel good the next day. I need to loosen up the muscles. I think you need to create your own routine since everyone is different. I like lip bending and pedal tones.

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico

The only warm down I've ever done is to take the horn off my face and put it away. I've never understood a warm down. But then again I'm a Barbara Butler student and I don't even warm up so there you go.

Michael McLaughlin
    Morelia MM

Pianissimo User
    West Virginia

If at all, I usually do a very short warm down, usually just doing some low, soft long tones and low, soft chromatic stuff.

Heart of Dixie

It's a waste of time. The best thing for your lips after a long rehearsal or gig is to get that mouthpiece off of them. Additionally, continuing to play after a rehearsal or gig is usually not possible without being obnoxious. Can you imagine being on stage after the applause from the last number dies down and the audience is leaving, and someone picks their instrument back up and begins "warming down"? Or another performer goes on after you, and you go backstage and noodle. Or rehearsal is over and everyone is packing up to go home or go to the nearest watering hole and you're still playing as they turn out the lights?

On a similar "note", warmups are largely a waste, too. If you can't sit down, pull out your horn and play without a warmup, you aren't quite there yet.

Just my opinions, but I'm sticking to 'em.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

I often find it helpful to ice down my lip after a difficult gig or practice session.

Tekirova, Antalya, Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Schwab View Post
    Unnecessary. Mouthpiece out, horn in case.
    I would second that. Even more, you will have rarely the possibility of doing it as a pro player, especially if you have to drive couple of hours after the gig as many do...

My experience is also, that often after finishing the gig the staff is pushing you to leave as they want to clean the hall and close it after the performance, so staying they will surely annoy them.

What will be much more useful is to train yourself to be able to play even without warming up as it may happens to arrive just before the gig...It is nice if you can warm up for 20-3-min before every gig, but be prepared for everything. And when you practice at home do all your warm ups and cool downs as you wish but be prepared to skip them all together if you need to.
    Last edited by trumpetnick; 09-27-2007 at 05:54 AM.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

IF you have a normal daily routine AND you don't beat your face up, you can forget the warm-up/down. If you become psychologically dependent on them, you are not doing yourself any favors. DO NOT CONFUSE ROUTINE with WARMUP! A couple of notes will tell you how much you have to concentrate to get through. I ALWAYS try to show up early to at least get a couple of notes in. If it doesn't work, no stress. I only warm down if I beat my face up. Long, low tones on the mouthpiece in the car on the way home - normally after drinking something cold.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information