Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Corners in the General forums; When i play the corners of my lips get really tense and flexability and endurance go right out the window. ...
    New Friend

Corners

When i play the corners of my lips get really tense and flexability and endurance go right out the window. Sometimes i only play for a few measures and the muscles in the corners of my mouth are already super tense and sometimes even hurt. Anyone ever had this problem??

Re: Corners

Hard to say w/o more info and I don't want to assume anything. When I first started out, it was an issue of trying to do too much too soon. I solved my problem with a regimented warm-up before I performed and a more consistent practice routine. I also use a B.E.R.P. (old school, similar to a "buzz buddy") on my mpc so I can "play" driving down the road.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
    . I also use a B.E.R.P. (old school, similar to a "buzz buddy") on my mpc so I can "play" driving down the road.
    Don't you or anyone else tell your auto insurance agent this or your premium rates may rise, whereas for safe driving it is the accepted rule of two hands on the wheel. I know ... I know ... many don't as they play with one device or another ... I've visited too many in hospitals and attended too many funerals of those whose driver did so. I've a David O'Neill BUZZZMASTER by Warburton, but I don't use it while driving or when my wife drives as she detests it's sound worse than my whistling.
    Last edited by Ed Lee; 10-26-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by BobtheBigFoot View Post
    When i play the corners of my lips get really tense and flexability and endurance go right out the window. Sometimes i only play for a few measures and the muscles in the corners of my mouth are already super tense and sometimes even hurt. Anyone ever had this problem??
    Three questions:

1. Do you have an upward horn angle? Relative to a perpendicular angle from the face?

2. Do you use more lower lip than upper?

3. Do you play with dry lips?

While you're pondering that you might considering trying a bit more lip pucker. This may seem difficult at first but after a tad it may help.

Increasing the facial muscle strength is a medium to long term exercise plan. Gradually the muscles develop.

Utimate User

Quote Originally Posted by Local 357 View Post
    Three questions:

1. Do you have an upward horn angle? Relative to a perpendicular angle from the face?

2. Do you use more lower lip than upper?

3. Do you play with dry lips?

While you're pondering that you might considering trying a bit more lip pucker. This may seem difficult at first but after a tad it may help.

Increasing the facial muscle strength is a medium to long term exercise plan. Gradually the muscles develop.
    Personally, I don't have a problem with 2/3 lower lip playing, not sayin' such is suitable for all players. I do concur that moist lips are a requirement and I tend to see the intense grin in the corners and undue pressure by many as may induce pain or discomfort. The angle of the instrument is somewhat related to facial - teeth formation, thus not always applicable to all or this problem by the OP IMO.

Banned Fortissimo User

I think you problem is like biting down with you cheeks. Like putting too much pressure on your teeth. This is hard to explain. Try playing with your teeth as far away from each other as possible. It will be hard, but if you are putting too much pressure on your teeth then this will help. If it does not then I would have a good trumpet player watch you when you play.

100th post!

Piano User

Sounds like a job for an experienced teacher. Diagnosing and fixing chop issues where we can't see or hear you is difficult and not likely to be successful. An hour lesson with a good teacher could save you a lot of time and electrons reading answers here and trying to apply them.

It sounds like cyberchondria to me.

I mean come on, if we follow even a lacking basic DIY routine, we immediately learn about playing more making life easier.

I can tell the thread owner that yes, I have seen this before. Students that think that they can get away with 10 minutes a day notice exactly this when they have an hour rehearsal. It is simply the result of lack of common sense. If a player wants better, they simply need to earn it. There is no special recipe or secret - only paying attention while playing and getting more time in daily.

I have posted many times about my circle of breath. I would recommend searching on it and using it to reduce the amount of work when playing.
    richtom, tobylou8 and Dave Hughes like this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Rowuk, it would be more helpful to post a link to one of your circle of breath topics than to simply tell us to search for "circle of breath". What happens is when we try to search for it, we mostly end up getting your other posts saying "go and search for circle of breath!" A while ago when I did that search I had to go through like 30 topics before I finally found what you were talking about.
    tobylou8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    It sounds like cyberchondria to me.

I mean come on, if we follow even a lacking basic DIY routine, we immediately learn about playing more making life easier.

I can tell the thread owner that yes, I have seen this before. Students that think that they can get away with 10 minutes a day notice exactly this when they have an hour rehearsal. It is simply the result of lack of common sense. If a player wants better, they simply need to earn it. There is no special recipe or secret - only paying attention while playing and getting more time in daily.

I have posted many times about my circle of breath. I would recommend searching on it and using it to reduce the amount of work when playing.
    The secret> WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK....AND, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK, WORK...ad infinitum.
    Yamaha Xeno
    '54 Conn 28b Connstellation

Warburton 1MD/Austin Custom Brass A1 Backbore
    Bach 1D (custom rim)
    Austin Custom Brass, Custom Lead Mouthpiece (14A-A1)

"There's no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger & unhappiness"
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information