Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AndrewL
  • 1 Post By Kujo20
  • 1 Post By study888
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Cornet Mouthpiece Suggestions in the General forums; I play a Bach 1 1/2c on trumpet. ANy nice dark sounding ones for a cornet I may be getting....
    Orange, Nj

Cornet Mouthpiece Suggestions

I play a Bach 1 1/2c on trumpet. ANy nice dark sounding ones for a cornet I may be getting.
    "Music is therefore simply the science of the effects of love on rhythm and harmony." - Eryximachus in Plato's Symposium

Pianissimo User
    Battle Creek, MI

Re: Cornet Mouthpiece Suggestions

I have a Schilke 18 I really like on my cornets. Big dark, velvety sound. Very rich and smoky on my Committee.
    1932 Conn 2B Special trumpet
    1956 Martin Committee Deluxe cornet
    1964 (ish) Holton Al Hirt Special cornet
    1972 Bach Stradivarus model 37
    Maxtone Flugelhorn

I would suggest a Curry 1.5 BBC. - the BBC. cornet mouthpieces by Mark Curry are heavenly.

Forte User
    Northern California

Also in the Curry line, the DC and VC models are very fine ones and help produce the right sort of cornet sound. It's hard to go wrong with any of his cornet mouthpieces. Depending on what you find comfortable and just what works best for you, the safari could be expanded to include Sparx (the Soloist 2B is a great piece), either version of the Claude Gordon Personal or CG3, and some of the deeper Warburton models (D, XD, MBC, and BC in order of cup depth).
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

New Friend

Yamaha 16e
    vern likes this.

I'm a fan of the Denis Wick pieces. I also liked the Bach 5V and 5MV for cornet.

vern likes this.
    1914 Holton Revelation Cornet
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ

Mezzo Forte User
    Darlington S.C.

Since you are using a 1 1/2C Bach Trumpet mouthpiece. Try the Bach 1 1/2B Cornet mouthpiece. If your Cornet is a long bell cornet. The B cup will be just fine.

The short model, larger bell/shepard crook cornets handle the deep V cups much better. With Cornets,one can get Dark playing and a mellow playing sounds mixed up. To go darker /warmer or broader in sound. That is where the Flugelhorn comes in.

Most long bell USA made cornets sound very much like their Trumpet counter parts. A C cup or B cup responds basically the same on these type ,as the same model Trumpet. Any V cup deeper than a Kanstul CG Personel,to me makes my King Master Cornets play to flat.

A Bach 5B will give the same over all sound on my King Master Cornet as the Kanstul CGP. Like the rim and more open blow on the CGP,helps open up the med. bore Cornet some.

Since you can play the bigger rim Bach mouthpieces. My second choice would be the (16.60MM), Kanstul CG3 Cornet mouthpiece. Cup is med. deep,but gives a very nice balanced tone on a Long Bell Cornet. Rim is comfortable to play on. Good luck.
    Kujo20 likes this.

Thread Information