Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Cornet random questions in the General forums; I agree wholeheartedly with tpsiebs. I've seen and done many lacquer strips where the end product sounded much worse than ...
    Denton, TX

Re: Cornet random questions

I agree wholeheartedly with tpsiebs. I've seen and done many lacquer strips where the end product sounded much worse than what we started with, it just depends on the horn. Some horns improve greatly mainly due to their brass content and inherent resonances and others go from sounding like a Monette to sounding like a China horn.

If you do strip it, I cannot stress how important safety is; even with household cleaners/strippers it is possible to get a serious injury.

"Always strive to be what you can be, don't settle to be what you are." - Dr. Bowman

New Friend
    North Georgia

Hi all...I am a true newbie (this is my first post) but I couldn't help chiming in on this discussion as it is near and dear to my heart! TODAY I removed the lacquer from my Olds Ambassador cornet (Fullerton circa 1966) and it looks so good! It wasn't difficult...just a little labor intensive. I did a ton of reading (on this forum--thanks!, and other sites) and followed all the precautions. Used KleanStrip remover in an spray can...stripping gloves, well ventilated area, old problems. I did one application and could see the lacquer bubbling up right away. When I wiped the foam off (after waiting a long 15 minutes because I was excited!) I was a little looked like there was still a good bit of lacquer in place. Sprayed again, waited some more, wiped...and it still seemed to have lacquer. So...I went the hot water (not boiling) route. Stuck the horn in the deep garage sink and ran hot water until the horn was submerged. Let it sit for awhile...accomplishing 2 things: rinsing off the remainder of the chemicals AND the loosened lacquer. I dried the horn...stubborn lacquer! At least that's what I thought until I started POLISHING the thing. Yes, I used Brasso; Yes, I know that I probably took a minute layer of brass off...but darn if that thing didn't turn out great! It is absolutely gorgeous! After buffing with a soft cloth I polished the whole thing with Renaissance MicroCrystalline wax and reassembled (yes, I did remove the slides, valves, etc. before I started). I'm not an accomplished enough musician to appreciate the subtlelties or nuances of a raw brass, lacquered or plated horn...and I spent a whopping $35 for the old gal in the first I figured I had little to lose other than some time on a Saturday afternoon. And why did I do this in the first place. The horn played well, valves smooth and fast, no major dings/dents/scratches...just lacquer dandruff flaking off all the time...I think it will be easy to maintain as long as I wipe it down after playing and buff and wax as needed.

Heart of Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by frankmike View Post
    Hi Dale, nice restauration there. BUT what kind of cornet is that. Thats the most unusuall thing I've seen, all Bb cornets I saw had lead pipe that goes into 3rd valve first. But your is unusuall because lead pipe enters 1st valve first. How come? Whats that? Does it affect fingering? Is it maybe Eb cornet?
    Thanks. It's a 1962 Conn 5A Victor. The air goes through the valve section "backwards", with no apparent ill effect. It's a huge bore (.485") Bb cornet that plays like a dream, and the fingerings are standard. In fact, I liked it so much, I had it customized and refinished a few months ago. I never got used to the smell and feel of the raw brass and nickel. Here it is today...

Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

It is always interesting to read how the "inexperienced" turn down advice from the "experienced" because they already know better - they think.

Frankmike, you will learn that it makes little sense to reinvent the wheel. If you check Dales posts for instance, you will see that he is one of the more experienced with vintage horns. Stripping laquer makes a lot more sense than sanding it off. Mechanical processes create dust which is also a health hazard. In addition, the horn does not get an even finish and like Dale said, the nooks and crannies are next to impossible.

Paint remover is the least mess and the least potential damage to the horn. There are many different types. I have also used Krylon on a Selmer Eb trumpet with good results.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User
    Kokomo, IN

Hot water is just a waste of time. Do not use sand paper, as the soft brass will be damaged. The best thing to use and avoid chemicals is 0000 steel wool, the finer the better; however, the finer also requires a lot more work on your part. Now if you want to make it a little easier and are interested in a frosted finish you may want to try a Dremel tool with a 512E finishing abrasive buff. You will have some problems getting to 100% of the finish, if you're real bold you can disassemble the horn with a torch but you will then have to deal with putting it back together. You can do it with practice and solder or you can find a repair shop to put it back together. Best wishes!

Sonare TRC-800
    Harrison Wedge 1AC 25 lightweight backbore
    Accent TR959 CDB C tpt w/Wedge 1AC 25 with short shank and heavy backbore
    Jupiter 846S Flug Wedge 2
    Jupiter 632 T-Bone Wedge 5G
    Accent EU-757 Euphonium Wedge 5G (Delrin)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information