Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Cornet vs trumpet in the General forums; I find my cornets to be more forgiving. My trumpet tends to expose my faults more. Whether I play cornet ...

Re: Cornet vs trumpet

I find my cornets to be more forgiving. My trumpet tends to expose my faults more. Whether I play cornet or trumpet usually depends on what kind of music I am playing.
    1974 Bach ML 37 Strad Trumpet
    1928 Buescher Bb/A Cornet
    1947 Conn 12A Coprion Cornet
    1912 Holton New Proportion "Couturier Model"

Quote Originally Posted by horner View Post
    No thanks. I like my cornet but its more difficult than my trumpet in the higher register... the valves are beautiful though.
    You are totally right: the high register is far easier on the trumpet. The cornet isn't designed for playing properly in high register.

And yes, I love my Getzen valves...

Pianissimo User

If it were me I would start on trumpet and switch to cornet later because they play very simililar. Plus trumpet can be played everywhere a cornet can exept in a british style brass band.

Forte User
    Indiana USA

Hi, jsclerus,

When I was in high school in the mid 60's, I noticed trumpets were being used instead of cornets. Prior to that (in earlier grades), cornets seemed to be the instrument of choice for directors and students in bands. That has changed and trumpet is the instrument of choice.

Now that I'm older, I play my cornet more than trumpet. I truly enjoy the sound of cornet and rarely play trumpet. Others do the opposite. Some play trumpet and have little desire to play cornet. Some never have played cornet and have no desire to. It's a matter of choice. I believe if one plays in an "all" brass band, he/she is likely to play cornet. The playing of trumpet is for bands with various other "brass and non-brass" instruments.

If one consistently plays music in the high register, he/she may lean toward trumpet. When most trumpeters want a unique change of sound, they play flugels instead of cornets. However, the cornet has a unique lyrical sound and should stand on its own. Some trumpeters recognize that and are playing cornet from time to time.

A young person playing in a band that utilizes "only" trumpets will probably "move" in that direction.

Is it more difficult to play cornet than trumpet? I don't think so! However, the style of playing, projection issues, and force of blowing may be different. For shorter arms of the students, the cornet may have advantages, but the band itself determines the choice of cornet or trumpet. Thus, it may be a "mute" issue, no pun intended.

Best wishes,

Last edited by lmf; 08-08-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Clarity

Piano User

I think if you took a trumpet and cornet of equal quality,for instance a bach strad cornet and trumpet,the cornet would play the harder passages a bit easier.The conical bore of the cornet makes it a little easier in the upper register also.

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Dismukes View Post
    I find my cornets to be more forgiving. My trumpet tends to expose my faults more. Whether I play cornet or trumpet usually depends on what kind of music I am playing.

I am in that same boat. In MOST cases I prefer one of my cornets.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Mezzo Piano User

Well I'm not an expert, but I do have 5 trumpets and 7 cornets to compare right now. For me, it's all about the individual horn. I have some that are easier to play than others, but it doesn't fall into one category or the other. The 2 easiest playing horns that I have are a Yamaha Trumpet, and a Bach Shepards crook cornet. So for me, it doesn't make a difference.
    Last edited by Toobz; 08-08-2008 at 07:37 PM.

If you want another opinion... cornets are NOT noticably easier OR harder to play than trumpets... period. If I could have only one I would choose the trumpet; mostly because of this culture's preference of the trumpet. Cornets are mostly used now in large symphonies and for some solo work. Trumpets are respected in more situations. Cornets are really nice instruments and I'll always have an affection towards them. I play my trumpet probably 20 times more frequently than my cornet. My cornet rarely leaves the house, now that I think about it.

Pianissimo User

i think it depends on what you are playing. To me it seems easier to play below and in the staff with a cornet but in and above the staff the trumpet owns
    Conn Vocabell
    1938 King Liberty
    King Super 20
    Weird really old Joseph Brunn Flugel Horn

Heart of Dixie

It all depends on the horn. Some trumpets are easier to play than some cornets, and other cornets play easier than some trumpets. If you're learning, use whichever you have available at the time, as long as it's a quality instrument. A generalization, but most cornets are more flexible than trumpets, have a more mellow sound, and are a little harder to play high on. Some of that is due to the traditional cornet mouthpiece, of course. If you're interested more in classical music, go for the trumpet. A few earlier posts have said something about cornets being used in symphony orchestras, but that's actually not very common, except for pieces that call for cornet. The trumpet, in various keys, rules there. I'll also differ with the idea that brass band playing doesn't require the skill that orchestral playing does. Playing at the top levels of either requires an equal level of skills, and playing at lower levels of either will also find players of like skill. Listen to recordings of some of the top brass bands see what I mean.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information