Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Cornet vs trumpet in the General forums; Originally Posted by jsclerus Hello everyone, I am quite new to the trumpet field. I am currently renting a trumpet ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Cornet vs trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by jsclerus View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am quite new to the trumpet field. I am currently renting a trumpet (Conn 22b) while in the learning process. I have not yet decided whether to keep it (eventually buy it from the store) or pursue another. That brings me to this question: which instrument is easier for beginners to learn and play, the trumpet or cornet? I've read the trumpet is better for jazz, but I am more incline towards classical music. Thanks!!
    Hello there jsclerus.

I think you have prob answered your own question within your posting. The trumpet is indeed the instrument of choice for 99% of classical pieces (that have trumpet involvement of course) so if your leaning in the classical direction then a trumpet it should be. The cornet is a great instrument, although its deemed not as cool as the trumpet. Cornets are used in certain jazz settings and occasionally in orchestral pieces Over here in the UK the tendency is to lean towards the cornet due mainly to the tradition in brass bands. I started on cornet but moved towards trumpet (cooler!!!). Not so much big band stuff around over here but as there is still a lively brass band scene I still do play in a brass band (but play my trumpet at home more that my cornet). The music ranges from easy to extremely tricky, and I must contradict the guy who feels the orchestral stuff is more demanding. I did a spell with an orchestra and could'nt handle the 320 bars rest to play your 8 (if it floats your boat go with it, it was just not for me!!!.....Oh and the strings were/are so uptight.....IMHO....chill guys). Go with whatever instrument is required in your choice in musical style. You can always get the cornet (or trumpet) at a later date to play as an alternative and to add some variety to your playing. Good luck.

Mezzo Forte User

I play both but have a very distinctly different sound and style ideal for each. I find that in certain styles the cornet gets the nod and in other styles, where the musical demands are different, the trumpet has the edge. As for what is easiest...they're both difficult to play well!!

Regards,

Trevor

Hello everyone,

I am quite new to the trumpet field. I am currently renting a trumpet (Conn 22b) while in the learning process. I have not yet decided whether to keep it (eventually buy it from the store) or pursue another. That brings me to this question: which instrument is easier for beginners to learn and play, the trumpet or cornet? I've read the trumpet is better for jazz, but I am more incline towards classical music. Thanks!!
    The cornet is easier and equally suited for jazz. Once you get good enough, it makes sense to have one of each, then you can play everywhere!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

As to beginners (who don't yet have a high range anyway), I think it's fair to say that slotting notes is fractionally harder on the cornet, but after that I think it comes down to bore size. Large bore leaves a lot of room for a beginner to get lost rel to tone, and is a lot more exhausting too!

Forte User

Today atr community concert band rehearsal I chose to play my elderly Getzen 80 Deluxe long cornet with an Olds 7C mouthpiece in a much deleted trumpet section. Only 3 of us from an 8 instrument section were able to make it. Following the rehearsal our guest conductor, a professional trumpet player made the remark to me that we not only blended well, but, on my long solo on 'Danny Boy' he was amazed at the sweetness of my tone. This is my way of saying that with the proper mouthpiece for playing a cornet in an otherwise all trumpet section, it CAN be done. On top of which, I had fun.

OLDLOU>>
    Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

I've recently bought a '69 Conn Connquest short cornet, and am so far very impressed with it. It is the most versitile horn I've ever owned. With different mouthpiece selections, it will go from giving the trumpets a run for their money, to blending in a British brass band cornet section. If I could have only one horn, this (or something similar) would be it.

Last edited by Dale Proctor; 08-09-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Concerning the mouth piece issue you can buy a cornet to trumpet adapter
    which will enable you to use the same mouth piece.
    Saying that, it is a common belief that cornets are used in brass bands and require a deeper mouth piece to get that warm tone that is remnant to English brass bands. While trumpets are known for their bright sound hence shallower mouth pieces. But really a mouthpiece that is some were in between will usually do the job, the real crux of the matter is development on your sound and think in your head what sound you are after.
    Cheers Chenzo

Play out of love, not fear Take care of your sound, don’t overblow Nobody can play perfectly, strive for musicality Don’t just impress people, move them!
    Listen, Listen, Listen!!! Its hard to listen when you are talking Don’t take playing too seriously, its not supposed to hurt!
    Make sure you remember to feed your passion and have fun

Banned Piano User

jsclerus im a beginner to and just thinking the same as you... in fact im in your shoes. ive hired a trumpet as well and just trying to see if i lyk it. But i get frustrated sometimes as i cant get the right sounds coming out of the trumpet and i loose air to quickly.

New Friend

Your comments are very insightful. My guess is that eventually, if I progress further in the field, one instrument may not be enough. For right now I have a question: I've been offered a Holton C602p cornet in pretty good condition for $125. Should I go for it and discard the Conn 22b trumpet (which will eventually cost me around $450) or keep the trumpet? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Your comments are very insightful. My guess is that eventually, if I progress further in the field, one instrument may not be enough. For right now I have a question: I've been offered a Holton C602p cornet in pretty good condition for $125. Should I go for it and discard the Conn 22b trumpet (which will eventually cost me around $450) or keep the trumpet? Your input will be greatly appreciated.
    We can't honestly answer that question as we know NOTHING about the condition or playability of either of your horns. A model name is meaningless as every instrument has a history and it may have been negative from day one. Play before you pay!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information