Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss counting question in the General forums; recently started playing in a new community band and the lead trumpet player was a high school band director for ...
    Forte User

Cool counting question

recently started playing in a new community band and the lead trumpet player was a high school band director for a couple of years. He is directing one piece at next weeks concert and he stated that when an eigth note is tied to any other note [such as a quarter or half note] the composer does not want the tied note played the eigth that is tied on but that to hold the note the full value before the eigth. the eigth note is actually a rest. This was confusing to me as I was always used to playing the notes to their value and the resting to the value of the rest that was written. He was very emphatic that this was how composers get someone to play a whole-half or quarter note to their correct value. I guess at 60 yrs. of age I learn something new all the time. To the good musicians out there have I been wrong all these years or is he full of beans?
    Last edited by Dave Mickley; 07-10-2009 at 11:56 AM.
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Forte User

Re: counting question

Unless there is some specific style he is looking for he is full of beans.

If the composer wanted a rest he would have put in a rest. That said, my music director periodically has us make as a penciled change to the music the articulation you described, but only when he wants a particular change, not as a policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mickley View Post
    recently started playing in a new community band and the lead trumpet player was a high school band director for a couple of years. He is directing one piece at next weeks concert and he stated that when an eigth note is tied to any other note [such as a quarter or half note] the composer does not want the tied note played the eigth that is tied on but that to hold the note the full value before the eigth. the eigth note is actually a rest. This was confusing to me as I was always used to playing the notes to their value and the resting to the value of the rest that was written. He was very emphatic that this was how composers get someone to play a whole-half or quarter note to their correct value. I guess at 60 yrs. of age I learn something new all the time. To the good musicians out there have I been wrong all these years or is he full of beans?
    that's one of the silliest things I've ever heard. It's an eighth NOTE not an eighth rest!

bigtiny

For some reason, I've seen this and heard that same excuse several times. Here's my take on it: Do what you need to do to get tehe call back! Ha. If the director wants you to cut off the tie, do it. If he/she wants you to play through it, do it.

As far as the whole "composer wanted it this way" comment.... Is the composer still alive? Try calling them and ask! Ha.
    The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.
    -C. S. Lewis

Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die. -Tom Clancy

And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
    -Revelation 8:6

Mezzo Forte User

If they don't want it as written, and they can't describe w/o confusion, then ask him to "sing it".

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    For some reason, I've seen this and heard that same excuse several times. Here's my take on it: Do what you need to do to get tehe call back! Ha. If the director wants you to cut off the tie, do it. If he/she wants you to play through it, do it..
    I agree with Bear. The director sounds bonkers to me, but if that's what he wants then play it. At the end of the day he's calling the shots, so go with the flow if you want to keep the gig...

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Was it the composer or the arranger who added the "extra eighth?" I've seen this "trick" used before, (and have used it myself) when arranging. It works. Besides, the conductor is always right, even when they are wrong!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother View Post
    Was it the composer or the arranger who added the "extra eighth?" I've seen this "trick" used before, (and have used it myself) when arranging. It works. Besides, the conductor is always right, even when they are wrong!

I have always been of the opinion that "conductors are most resistant to taking direction". That does not mean that those of us under their direction have the priveledge of disputing their direction in any way.

OLDLOU>>
    Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Forte User

I always pencil in any directions that a director asks for because in the course of my playing days it seems that many directors change the music to fit their interpretation of what each piece should sound like[they hold the stick so play what they want]. The reason that I posed the question is that said director made a blanket statement stating that "all" composores use this method to get the player to make sure they play the note that is tied to the eigth to get full value and to "never" play the eigth note,it is a rest.. I always thought if they were concerned to play a half or quarter note to full value they would put a line over it. I always try to play to the directors wishes.
    Last edited by Dave Mickley; 07-10-2009 at 05:29 PM.
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information