Trumpet Discussion Discuss A couple of interesting books... in the General forums; Last weekend a fine trumpeter from down state dropped by for a lesson. In the course of our discussion, I ...

A couple of interesting books...

Last weekend a fine trumpeter from down state dropped by for a lesson. In the course of our discussion, I dug up a couple of books for him to study. I thought they would merit mentioning here.

"Double High C in Ten Minutes" by Walt Johnson
    In spite of the blatantly provocative title, this little book is REALLY interesing, IMHO. Johnson has some great ideas.

"Trumpet Relaxtion Studies" by John Glasel
    These are from the teachings of Maurice Grupp. The bpook comes in three small volumes and has terrific concepts. It is where I first saw the notion of "minimum mouthpiece pressure" in print.

The Johnson book can be fond on the internet. I'm not sure where to find the Glasel book. I bought it after reading and ITG review manyyears agao when I was struggling trying to fix my chops problems while on the job, so to speak. I think it might be out of print.

A little grist for the mill....

Gotta run.

Peace.

ND

B6L
    New Friend
    Another good book is "Embouchure Design" I wish I could tell you who wrote it but I wore the cover clean off :) I'm shure your student could get much out of it ..........I know did.....and still do!!!!!!! Damit who that thing!

Nate

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

Re: A couple of interesting books...

Quote Originally Posted by NickD

"Trumpet Relaxtion Studies" by John Glasel
    These are from the teachings of Maurice Grupp. The bpook comes in three small volumes and has terrific concepts. It is where I first saw the notion of "minimum mouthpiece pressure" in print.

The Johnson book can be fond on the internet. I'm not sure where to find the Glasel book. I bought it after reading and ITG review manyyears agao when I was struggling trying to fix my chops problems while on the job, so to speak. I think it might be out of print.

A little grist for the mill....

Gotta run.

Peace.

ND
    John was president of Local 802.
    He was a busy player. John,for many years, was in the Elliot Lawrence band that played the Tony Award show. He did numerous Sinatra tours.
    John was one of the original members of the New York Brass Quintet.
    And..........John was a heck of a jazz player.
    They broke the mold with Glasel
    Wilmer

New Friend

John Glasel

Nick. I worked on the material and concepts in John Glasel's book for over 12months about 20 years ago. After "The Inner Game of Tennis", I found it the most helpful book I've ever come across. It's amazing that where you look can affect how you sound. I took a lesson from John to check that I was doing everything right.
    For me, the main benefit was the ability to play in the centre of the note with no trace of effort or labour in the sound.
    Peter Salt

New Friend
    It is helpful to think about the mental stuff.

See" www.trumpetworkspress.com

Thread Information