Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rowuk
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Cracking in the General forums; I keep cracking notes in the middle register (lower and higher are fine) . Ill be playing fine then all ...

Question Cracking

I keep cracking notes in the middle register (lower and higher are fine) . Ill be playing fine then all of a sudden I'll crack
    out of the blue. Any ideas?

Re: Cracking

This is not unique, but you have given us NOTHING to go on.

I suspect that your breathing and body use is weak and that you play with excessive pressure in the upper register. Then when you play in the middle range after coming from high notes, that your mashed embouchure cannot relax quickly enough. When coming from low notes, you add armstrong, but not consistently.

Another related possibility is really crappy practice hygiene, where you simply daily beat your face up trying to play high notes.

Marching Band often screws players this way.

For a safe solution, search for my Circle of Breath here at TrumpetMaster. It is free, it works and is safe. It does NOT require a change of embouchure. It only requires a player that wants to get better.
    barliman2001 likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Forte User
    Flinders Vic Australia

Are you hearing the pitch of the note to be played in your head first? or is it push the valves down and hope.

Regards, Stuart.

Great Southern Land

Are you a high pressure player? If you are then it could be that your lips are numb/ischemic so you can't feel if they're set right for the next note.

Pianissimo User

on those troublesome notes, and a little above and below them, try playing them with a breath attack. Quarter note, quarter rest, quarter note, quarter rest, whole note. medium loud, just do this a little each day, don't over do it.
    Author of "Give It The 3rd Finger: 101 Trumpet Studies For Making Your 3rd Finger Work Right And Your Tongue And Chops Too" - PLUS the FREE Special Report "How To Increase Your Endurance The Easy Way" - Get the freebie and samples

I suspect its MB aswell but the bright side is its over. I'll look up your Circle of Breath solution and see what unfolds

Thread Information