Trumpet Discussion Discuss Craigslist? in the General forums; Hi, I've searched this on the site, but haven't really been able to find to much on the subject. I've ...
    Twin Cities, Minnesota

I've searched this on the site, but haven't really been able to find to much on the subject.

I've been looking around on craigslist, and I've found some good deals here and there. I'm very cautious though, getting ripped off isn't something I want to have happen.

What kinds of questions do you guys ask to make sure you're getting the real deal? Is Paypal always %100 guaranteed to save you?

Dan Peterson

Re: Craigslist?

I never do any shipping on Craigslist. When I buy a horn from there I always give it a thorough play test and inspection.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Bostonish & San Francisco

Craigslist itself suggests that you don't ship, whether you are buying or not,
    I wouldn't try to buy a horn off craiglist that I couldn't try
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

Seattle, WA

I agree with those who would never do shipping on a Craigslist transaction. When I buy off of Craigslist I arrange to meet someplace public, like a Starbucks. If possible, I bring a friend with me. I insist on examining the horn thoroughly before deciding whether to buy. You should bring your mp, so you can play it if it's playable (I sometimes buy older cornets that are not necessarily in playing condition when I get them). I always pay cash, which I keep in my pocket, so I don't have to pull out my wallet during the transaction. Craigslist can be fine, but there are predators out there, so beware. We had an episode out here in Seattle last week where a mother and son were responding to a Craigslist ad. When they went to meet-up for the transaction it turned out to be a fake ad, and the guy whacked them with a hammer and tried to rob them. Yikes!

1953 Mt. Vernon Strad 37 Cornet
    1966 Burbank Benge Eb/D
    1975 LA Benge 3x+
    1976 Strad 37*
    1978 LA Benge C
    1980 LA Benge 3x

Thread Information