Trumpet Discussion Discuss Curious in the General forums; Hi If I learn the trumpet, does that mean I should be able to play the Tuba/Cornet/Flugel Horn and possibly ...
    Piano User

If I learn the trumpet, does that mean I should be able to play the Tuba/Cornet/Flugel Horn and possibly french horn also?

They all use the same keys and same mouth idea... I know If I played reed and went to brass it would not work as they are completely different and to go trombone trumpet wouldnt work either because its a different mechanical idea but trumpet/tubas/cornets/flugel horns all have 3 keys, some tubas have 4 and french horn has 4... so I just wondered if I could play the trumpet if those instruments would be part of what I could play with some tweaking and will not make my trumpet playing bad like it would if i went from trumpet - reed.

Re: Curious

No, it means nothing. There is a possibility that you MAY be able to, but "should" is definitely not the word.

Cornet and flugel horn are close and will probably work. French horn and tuba are much different and require additional practice time. It is best to pick one and try to get good instead of thinning out right from the beginning
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Playing multiple instruments is sometimes done. When one player plays different instruments at different times in a band or other ensemble, it is referred to as "doubling". This is legitmate when the player is very accomplished and has developed skills in the different instruments. But, aside from the apparent mechanical similarities, here are some differences to consider:
    - Different instruments may play in different musical keys so a given valve combination will not play the same pitch
    - Some play music written in treble cleff, others play music in bass cleff
    - French horns are played with the left hand on the valves (these are rotary valves) and the right hand placed in the bell with the hand used to help control the intonation of the instrument (which is very difficult at best)
    - Different instruments require different mouthpieces and the lips (embouchure) are different for each and developing the proper embouchure for each one takes a long time
    - The ability to make real music on a particular instrument takes a special combination of ear, lips, breathing, and overall sensitivity to the instrument, which is different for each one. So, as Rowuk said, pick one and become the master of it. Then (maybe) you could try another one.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Piano User

I was merely wondering if by playing the trumpte I could have fun playing a tuba like a double bass (that style of boom/chick) rythm for fun when I dont wanna play the melody, whether I could switch between the 2...

There the 2 that actually apeal to me, and my style playing = ear, so whatever key it is in doesnt really matter as im not reading the notes... its just in church during worship etc sometimes I like to play bass... so i wondered if I could use a tuba for that rather than a double bass considering i learn 'trumpet'.

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

You have just told us way too much.

Medina, NY

Tuba will have same fingerings, but you will have to transpose the key.

F horn without the trigger, I've found, is the same as the upper register of trumpet to a certain extent.

Biggest challenge is mouthpiece size.
    1994 Bach Strad Model 43+Bach Megatone 3C=WILL (aka me!)

Melbourne Australia

I love to play the deeper brass as well, BUT I have a new respect for Tuba players; I just cannot get down there..... had to pass on Tuba, not enough skill, air or patience.

Maybe something I will try when I get older....70+yrs, there's still too much to learn on trumpet. The Bass guitar sounds easier..

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

The Wide Brown Land

I find it reasonably easy to skip between trumpet and tenor (alto) horn as the fingerings are identical - but my skill on both instruments suffers in direct proportion to the time spent on the other - although it is fun, and you don't have to transpose in your head.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

It will be fine if your name is James Morrison. Other than that i'd stick to one.

Thread Information