Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss customizing mouthpieces in the General forums; Hey Manny, Do you know of any guys who customize MP's?? I'm just curious about it...thanks. I can't wait for ...
    Pianissimo User

customizing mouthpieces

Hey Manny,

Do you know of any guys who customize MP's?? I'm just curious about it...thanks. I can't wait for Mahler and all of the great rep you're doing this year. I'm excited to hear you play again. It's been to long. I consider you and Phil Smith to be the best principle players in the world. Other's might have a different opinion, but you two guys have skills I've never heard before. Thanks for your musicianship and dedication that makes me strive to be like you guys!

Jeremy
    "99% is the same as 0%. If you don't feel like giving 100% or can't give 100%, then you might as well stay home." -Will Smith/added to by Jeremy Tarter

Utimate User
    In town here, doesn't Fokus do that? Other than than he, I'm not aware of who else does it but that's just me. The other Twin Citians will weigh in with better info.

I'm reaching that point I do every year right about now where I'm itching to play already. Drives me nuts and I still have another week off... arrgh!

ML

Mezzo Piano User
    How long is your season Manny?

Thanks!

Utimate User
    David,

It's a standard, major orchestra 52 week season with 10-11 weeks of vacation interspersed throughout.

ML

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny Laureano
    David,

It's a standard, major orchestra 52 week season with 10-11 weeks of vacation interspersed throughout.

ML
    When I joined the Baltimore Symphony in 1965, the entire season lasted for only 36 weeks, with 0 vacation time. Let's not even discuss bread.........but, I was overscale from Day One
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Piano User

Re: customizing mouthpieces

Quote Originally Posted by Tarter_trpt8
    Do you know of any guys who customize MP's?? I'm just curious about it...thanks.
    What customization do you want to have done? Most of the mp makers do customizations. If you just want the throat drilled out or backbore opened up, most guys can take care of that. If you want a completely custom mouthpiece you should look at Curry or Bob Reeves, they will make you whatever you want.
    Kevin

Pianissimo User
    I want a 1 1/4 rim on a 1B cup with a 22 throat and 24 backbore. How do I do that and who do I go to?? Anyone??

Jeremy
    "99% is the same as 0%. If you don't feel like giving 100% or can't give 100%, then you might as well stay home." -Will Smith/added to by Jeremy Tarter

Piano User
    Buy a 1B and a 1.25C mouthpiece. Send them to anyone (I know Osmun will do that work out here) and have them cut the rim off and thread it, then open the throat and backbore. The work should cost around $100 and then the cost of the mouthpieces. You could also order it from Bach (through a dealer of course), but that would take 9-12 months to get.

Here is a direct link --- http://www.osmun.com/services/mpcmod.htm
    Kevin

Couldn't you do it with a Bach modular setup? You could buy a 1 1/4 screw rim, put it on a 1 B underpart and have it bored out to your specifications, although I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want a 22 throat and a 24 backbore. What do you mean by "24 backbore"? It's always been my understanding that backbore refers to the size and shape of the funnel from the throat to the end of the mouthpiece. Do you mean that you want a 22 throat that closes to a a 24 just prior to the backbore? I'm curious why you think that this would be an ideal combination.

I've often wondered what is gained by going with a much larger throat size in a mouthpiece. I have tried 26 and 25 throats, but could never really adapt to the feel and therefore I stick with the 27 "standard".
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Piano User
    A 1.25 rim will not fit on a standard 1B cup, the shape is different and there is some overlap. But the Bach 24 Backbore is their "orchestral" backbore, it is not referring to size in the manner that you are thinking. It is more a matter of shape than anything else.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information