Trumpet Discussion Discuss Cyberchondria in the General forums; There was a radio program on the Armed Forces Radio network here in Germany this week (from NPR I think). ...

Cyberchondria

There was a radio program on the Armed Forces Radio network here in Germany this week (from NPR I think). The subject was Cyberchondria.

It goes something like this:
    Patient notices a symptom, googles it and the worst case becomes the reality. A twitch in the eye becoming Lou Gehrigs disease for instance.

Sound familiar?

After listening to the program (I think it was an hour long), I realized how many very sick people that we have here at TM, broken embouchures, mouthpiece safaris, corroded horns, thick or thin lips, sticky valves, no endurance, upstream/downstream, nervousness...........

Instead of taking the simple road, radical measures become reality before the googler even knows what the problem is.

That my friends is the price that we pay when we only have a bit of information. In the medical world it is called the second year of university syndrom. The medical students seem to find rare and complicated diseases in themselves after a year of academic training.

Next time any of you think that you have something serious, don't grab internet straws. You most likely do not have the knowledge to interpret the symptom and before considering drastic changes, just maybe a little bit of common sense can change your life - for the better.

Cyberchondria: Online Diagnosis Leads to Obsessive Fear: Scientific American Podcast

Cyberchondria: Old Wine in New Bottles | e-Patients.net

Find Podcasts : Radio : On The Media from NPR/WNYC
    search word Cyberchondria
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Piano User

Re: Cyberchondria

Spanish flu was from H1N1 fammily of viruses also. Nobody talks about that but it killed 100 milion people.

Can you imagine what Swine Flu ( also H1N1) could do.

Nobody talks about that, nobody. Not even google. We are doomed.

Frankmike,
    normal people will never know the truth. Whether the swine flu REALLY is as bad as the companies that produce the vaccine say it is and if the vaccine is not worse than the flu, we will all know afterward. Our politicians and the pharmacy lobbies have as many corpses to show for their work as do the major epidemics - perhaps not as well published.

This has little to do with the Cyberchondria that I am mentioning here.

Forte User

Thanks Rowuk,
    Now, half baked lunatics know the evil side of imagination. The power of people believing in something is a mightly thing.
    However, I have this elixor (for sale cheap!!) which is gauranteed to help people play double high C's in just a few short weeks. Its all natural and its base compound is capcasin. The trumpet player simply applies a liberal amount to the genital area and then proceeds with their regular practice routine. Zoom!!!! in no time at all, the person is playing like Maynard Ferguson.
    ----
    Here's the scary part, some weak minded trumpet players out there will probably put hot pepper on their winky thinking that maybe, just maybe, there's a chance it will work.

Piano User

You get this sort of thing in every area of life. I'll describe something in very simplistic terms - and then at a later date the person will come back with a hypothesis that is based more on imagined criteria than on the sketchy basis that I outlined.

I remember when I was in the Navy we were troubleshooting a problem on a piece of test equipment. . . We had no display, nothing, but we had power. I had a long argument with someone who insisted that I find the bad and-gate that was causing the problem because obviously we had the inputs, so it must be an and gate somewhere. The problem? The 5V power supply needed to output 5.1V not 5V, it was out of spec though one would swear that a 5V power supply putting out 5V was working properly.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

I googled "cyberchondria" and got over 30,000 hits!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Frankmike,

This has little to do with the Cyberchondria that I am mentioning here.
    Thats true, but it has a lot to do with Hypochondria

I know FM personally (he reccomended me this site) so I understand him better. LOL. In short he has specific humor, it is hard to understand him if you do not know him in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother View Post
    I googled "cyberchondria" and got over 30,000 hits!
    You mean you googled: +cyberchondria +"vulgano brother" ?

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

"Jennifer Aniston" + "vulgano brother" gets 34 hits.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information