Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TrumpetMD
  • 1 Post By rowuk
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Dark Tone. in the General forums; My Band Director says I am starting to get a dark tone. I wanna get it Darker so i would ...
    New Friend

Dark Tone.

My Band Director says I am starting to get a dark tone. I wanna get it Darker so i would appreciate some advice on it. But is "Too Dark" a bad thing? Like that confuses me, I always thought dark was good. And I got Biggish Lips so i guess the extra mass in my lips should make it even Darker?
    Bach Stradivarius 180S-43H

Re: Dark Tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbtresd View Post
    My Band Director says I am starting to get a dark tone ... But is "Too Dark" a bad thing?
    I think you should ask your band director what he/she meant. Was it a compliment or does he want you to change your sound? In addition, what did he mean by "dark"? Did he mean full with lots of core? Or did he mean lifeless and flat?

I always thought dark was good.
    IMHO, "dark" is neither good nor bad. Dark is dark. Sometimes I try to play dark and introspective. Other times, I try to play bright with more sizzle, or with a full rich sound. There are all kinds of ways to play. Don't limit yourself to "dark".

And I got Biggish Lips so i guess the extra mass in my lips should make it even Darker?
    I don't think the size of your lips has anything to do with it. But I think your heavy 43H bell probably helps you get a sound with more core in it.

Last edited by TrumpetMD; 09-30-2011 at 12:46 AM.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

Darker is usually not measured in frequency response. It is measured by how much lack of "annoying" is in a players style. Dark sounding players normally have to play louder in ensemble to be heard. That is often a disadvantage.

I always recommend working on breath support and consistency to develop YOUR natural tone. At the same time, we practice hundreds to thousands of tunes to develop "style". The elegance learned this way makes your playing OPTIMAL for all playing situations. It makes you a chameleon

Lip size plays no role in the light or dark issue. It is only a very small part of the lip that vibrates! Check this link out:

IWK Brass Research
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

San Pedro

+1 to the above replies ... it really is just another color for you pallet. If I am playing lead in a jazz band and the piece is a cranking swing piece I am probably going to be using a brighter tone than if the section is playing a Soli line in a Bossa Nova. If I want a darker sound I tend to back off on my tongue and attack each note lighter and I feel like I hold my corners in. If I want to brighten it up then I attack a bit more with the tongue and pull my corners back .. this is at least how I seem to look at.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Randolph, New Jersey

The expression "dark" difficult to quantify. Generally, a dark tone is considered to be very blendable within an ensemble setting and is actually a desirable attribute. However, as we're are in the throes of marching band season, I suspect that means that your sound is not projecting as well as your director hoped it might: thus, he's concerned about your 'contribution' to the group.

True enough that "edgy, lazer beam" sounds might be considered "bright" and that may be what he's looking for. As a judge for two of the most prestigious marching arts organizations in the Northeast, I would counter by saying that such sounds are simply obnoxious and actually a detriment to your "indoor" program. Maurice Andre and Phil Smith have lovely bright sounds that are not edgy, lazer beam sounds.

As Rowuk suggests, develop 'your' sound and with maturity and control, you will actually develop a palette of colors to choose from. There is no "short term fix" and simply moving to a shallower mouthpiece or one with a smaller back bore can only temporarily solve change things. This can, in fact make matters worse by causing pitch problems.

Generally "dark" is good but if I use the term as a negative, it describes a tone whose core is so thick that it is no longer characteristic of a trumpet.

That's my best guess.

1940 Martin Handcraft Cornet
    1946 Martin Committee Trumpet
    1947 Martin Committee Cornet
    Early 70's Yamaha Flugel s/n 000xxx
    Selmer Piccolo (a side ONLY)

If you are getting darker already, just continue with what you are doing unless the director meant it in a negative way. Trying to make it darker could screw it up by over thinking.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Dayton, Ohio

Again, you want a darker tone, turn off the lights when you play! This is the ONLY QUICK FIX way to play with a darker tone.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Thread Information