Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kingtrumpet
  • 1 Post By kingtrumpet
  • 1 Post By Martin Williams
  • 1 Post By Ed Lee
  • 1 Post By Pete Anderson
Trumpet Discussion Discuss DCI Bari/Euph line? in the General forums; So, I've been looking at drum corps for a few months now. I'm especially looking at Carolina Crown (amazing hornline) ...
    Pianissimo User jazzmetalrocknroll's Avatar

DCI Bari/Euph line?

So, I've been looking at drum corps for a few months now. I'm especially looking at Carolina Crown (amazing hornline) Jersey Surf (closest and most probable), and Bluecoats. But I've also been thinking about going to Baritone/ Euphonium for my rookie year at least, to get a somewhat better chance of making a spot on the hornline. Anyone have any tips on switching between Trumpet and Euph? I mean, I have a couple of years, I'm thinking of auditioning 2015 or so. But if I can get a bit of a head start now, I'd like to get preparing.

Re: DCI Bari/Euph line?

yes -- my tips are rather simple -- (but since I am a comebacker on trumpet for 4 years -- and have been doubling on trombone in community band this past year in parades --- I FEEL QUALIFIED to give info). The simplest thing is to start with only 5 or 10 minutes of Baritone every other day -- AFTER your normal trumpet practice. (((the assumption being you still want to play both instruments proficiently))) ---- in anycase ---just don't go ALL out on this switch --- the following week or two is to add the baritone in the trumpet practice -- BUT ONLY BRIEFLY!!! ----- then pretty much add time and switching from there on out -- but slowly. MY TIMEFRAME for having adequate sound on both instruments and being able to readily switch between trumpet and trombone was 4 MONTHS. At that point I was able to give equal practice time to both instruments.
    I'm almost 48 --- so since you are younger you might adjust quicker -- BUT keep this in mind, you are still going to be developing a whole new embouchure with the baritone, which uses different muscles than the trumpet. So go easy!!!! ----- I also feel that the trombone has helped with my "AIR" for trumpet, allowing me to be able to give the trumpet "MORE, FASTER, -anyways more air" which has helped with the altissimo range on trumpet. ((I have a reproducible HIGH G, at least for the a little while on the trumpet -- and can get the A,B,and double high C above that -- although not full, and not "playable" with sound control -- they are there)) -- although the trombone doubling was NOT ALL ABOUT range -- I think it helped with range, and with a fuller sound on the trumpet.. ((((disclaimer -- my problem with the whole thing has been, I REALLY SUCK at reading BASS CLEF -- and have resorted to writing slide positions over my notes when I play trombone))))) --- hope that helps
    jazzmetalrocknroll likes this.
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Utimate User

I play cornet, trumpet, euph, and F mellophone about equally (some of the time) and I'll go along with KT on not making such a sudden transition but break into a regimen of equal and continuous practice time for each instrument. I just hope you read and transpose bass clef as is usually set as if for a C instrument, like piano.

Pianissimo User jazzmetalrocknroll's Avatar

Thats one thing I need to do, get some music and really solidify my bass clef. I know how to read it, but not quickly.
    Besson Kanstul International Series Bb
    Portsmouth High School Symphonic Band
    Portsmouth High School Marching 180
    RIPYWE

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmetalrocknroll View Post
    Thats one thing I need to do, get some music and really solidify my bass clef. I know how to read it, but not quickly.
    dude - I may be an old codger -- but if you want to be in a horn line ---- I am pretty sure you have to know your scales, and your chromatic scales ---- and you have to be able to play them ((ON COMMAND - without thinking about them)) in 2 OCTAVES.!! -- but yes, you got some time --- so get busy!!!! and also --- PLAY and BE HAPPY!!!!
    jazzmetalrocknroll likes this.
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Mezzo Piano User Martin Williams's Avatar

Good advice here, make sure you keep time up on both so that neither suffers. Lots of longtones to build the air support and tone quality as well.

Also, check out the forums at www.drumcorpsplanet.com

There are lots of posters that have marched all the different corps, and lots with expirience on switching horns from tpt to contra and everything else.
    kingtrumpet likes this.

Utimate User

GABCDEFGA alternating line and space, then transpose two semitones higher for a Bb instrument and add two sharps to whatever the key signature was. Simple for some, a drudge for others.
    kingtrumpet likes this.

Pianissimo User

All the cool kids play Rochut: Melodious Etudes for Trombone Book 1: Joannes Rochut: 9780825801495: Amazon.com: Books

(actually it looks like that version is out of print and they released a new one that comes with a play-along CD... Pretty cool - http://www.amazon.com/O1594X-Melodio.../dp/0825884330 )
    Last edited by Pete Anderson; 02-26-2013 at 12:19 AM.
    kingtrumpet likes this.

Thread Information