Trumpet Discussion Discuss Dean Street Electric Underground Orchestra at Ronnie Scott's in the General forums; Hi, this is just a shameless plug for this great band - in which I happen to play lead trumpet ...

Dean Street Electric Underground Orchestra at Ronnie Scott's

Hi, this is just a shameless plug for this great band - in which I happen to play lead trumpet :) . We are playing at Ronnie Scott's club in London for one week from Monday February 23rd.

The 9 piece band is run by tenor saxophonist Tim Garland (Chick Corea, Earthworks) and features, amongst others, Mark Nightingale - surely one of the world's finest trombonists (you may have heard him with the John Dankworth quintet or on tour with Ozzie superstar, James Morrison).
    The drummer is Jeremy Stacey - a brilliant natural jazz drummer who is versatile enough to be holding down the chair in Sheryl Crow's band at the moment.

Perhaps the pick of the bunch though (to my ears at least) is the second trumpet player, Gerard Presencer. In my opinion he is easily the most gifted jazz trumpet/flugel player of his generation anywhere in the world.
    For those of you not familiar with Gerard's playing I urge you to check out his two most recent albums, Platypus and The Optimist. He is also a long time collaborater with Tim Garland and was the featured soloist on Tim's album, Made By Walking and a guest soloist on the Dean Street Underground Orchestra's debut album, Soho Stories. Gerrard is also the trumpet player with Rolling Stones drummer, Charlie Watts jazz quintet.

As you may have noticed the name of the band has changed with the addition of the word electric. This is because Tim has composed a whole bunch of new material for this season and is going for a more funky (and I dare say a little louder) approach. Don't be put off though because Tim is a great composer and a real musicians musician - I am sure the new material will be challenging, exciting and very much jazz based. We have a six hour rehearsal tomorrow - I'll let you know how it goes.

If you can make it down to the club next week, be sure to come and say hello.

All the best. Noel.

Hi Noel, I was planning on going to this, I didn't realise you were the lead player!

I'll probably be there tomorrow.

Looking forward to it,

Jack.

Hi Jack

I'll be going down to London on thurday to Ronnies if you happen to be over that way then feel free to join me for a drink or 10

Regards

Leigh
    Eclipse Trumpets

Eclipsetrumpets.com

Hi Leigh, it would be nice to join you for a drink, but I've already arranged to go tomorrow, and I've got a lesson on Thursday night!

Hope to meet you at some point though,

Jack.

I got back at 3am this morning, after staying for the second set last night. I wasn't planning on it (I had school today - had to leave home by 7.30) but I enjoyed this gig too much to leave 1/2 way through.

Some absolutely fantastic playing from everyone, but especially Noel Langley and Gerard Presencer - seriously impressive.

This really is a great band, not a weak link amongst them, so if you're in the London area, check them out this week!

Thread Information