Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Denis Wick mps in the General forums; Originally Posted by Phil Kersh I would like to get some feedback from all those who are currently using some ...
    Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Denis Wick mps

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kersh View Post
    I would like to get some feedback from all those who are currently using some form of a mouthpiece add-on. There are so many different varieties, and quite honestly, I can't imagine that they're really all that different.
    Like heavy bottom caps, the additional weight on the mouthpiece is supposed to add to the famed slot-lock. Although it may be very real to the player, computer measurements of impedence, Q and other James Bond stuff find no diffference.

My experience with added weight on the mouthpiece involved a set of custom Curry mouthpieces. Adding a Monster Sleeve did make the sound darker by about 1 Bach cup letter (to me as a player and also to colleagues listening to the with/without combinations) while retaining the upper-register comfort of a shallower cup.

A player who sounds just fine on their normal weight mouthpiece and is happy has no reason to switch to or even try a heavier weight. They do do something, for some players positive, but I would warn against getting into the "how many grams is ideal?" kind of safari.

That would lead to madness.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New Friend
    Gosford, Australia

To get a deeper tone use a deeper mp. I have been using a DW4 in my cornet and found it pretty good through most of the range, especially the bottom end. If you are into hymns and sacred this is ideal.
    barliman2001 likes this.

New Friend
    Cincinnati, OH

I've noticed that many mouthpiece manufacturers who offer both a standard and heavyweight in ostensibly the same size will open up the throat slightly on the heavyweight model. I've read their rationale for doing so, but wish they would better disclose this in their literature. This also leads me to believe that their own discoveries regarding the heavy vs. standard weights didn't truly bear out the marketing claims, so they had to to something extra to differentiate the product. The vast majority of buyers are going to (falsely?) attribute any differences to the added mass.

This is exactly why I used the basic Holton tone intensifier on a standard Bach 3B all throughtout high school despite owning a Megatone of the same designation. I used a throat gauge to measure both mouthpieces, and the Megatone was truly larger. Furthermore, I discovered that additional mass on the shank of the mouthpiece yielded the effect I was looking for. On mouthpieces with added mass surrounding the cup and rim, I always feel like I am working harder. Some people are the exact opposite - that is just my personal preference.

Auburn, AL

In my experience the tone intensifiers don't really do a whole lot. It basically turns your mouthpiece into a megatone. I played a 3c megatone for some time and I noticed that it doesn't do really anything.
    2014 Bach Stradivarius model 37 w/1st trigger
    Sound is the number one priority.

Vienna, Austria, Europe

I've been using the Tone Booster sleeve for a long time - almost since it first came on the market quite a few years back. But I've only used it in conjunction with my pre-1990 DW #2 cornet mouthpiece (biggest and deepest saucepan of a mouthpiece in existence on the market - later #2s were much shallower). In that combination, it works perfectly and controls the tendency to sloppy slotting evinced by the saucepan. Produces a great big volume of the sweetest cornet sound you can imagine coming out of me (I'm no Phil McCann or Alex Melville, though), even though it is hard work. But that's due to the mouthpiece. Controlling that bucket was much harder without the sleeve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information