Trumpet Discussion Discuss Dental challenges... seeking similar experience or advice in the General forums; Hi, I am having dental challenges which is somewhat affecting my playing and more so affecting my morale. My issue ...
    New Friend

Dental challenges... seeking similar experience or advice

I am having dental challenges which is somewhat affecting my playing and more so affecting my morale. My issue is that I have a strong sensation of 'vibration' in one of my top 2 front teeth. My dentist has said that I am in good dental health and that my teeth are 'solid', within the normal range. He thinks the sensation my be from the fact that the roots on the top 4 front teeth a significantly shorter, caused by braces when I was a child.

My teeth do not move or wiggle, but the vibration in this tooth is pretty uncomfortable, sometimes mildly painful. The sensation is strongest when I pick up the horn for the first time during the day. As I play, it does mimimize, but never goes away.

At my dentist's recommendation I had the top 6 teeth splinted together (the cannine roots are normal length). The only thing this really accomplished is that I need to have the splint repaired every 2 yrs or so as the bonding material (covering the splint) that breaks away over time.

At this point Im guessing my only option is to get a mold of my teeth made and then get the to get the top 6 teeth capped into a single unit. My dentist did say this would make the upper teeth more solid/stable. Needless to say, I do know the potential re-work I will have to do if the caps vary greatly from my own teeth size,shape.

Anyone ever experience a similar sensation OR have dental caps? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mezzo Forte User
    You might want to move this over to Wilmer Wise's section (Wise Talk). I recently heard him give a clinic about his experiance playing with a full set of dentures. I'm sure he would have some insight. Good Luck!

New Friend
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Google "barry Hillam", and when you find his site, email him. he is a Dentist, who is also a trumpet professor at BYU in Utah. he might be able to give you some good advice, since he is also a trumpet player. Best of luck.
    "If you think you can - YOU WILL!!!"

Tempe, Arizona
    You might want to contact Adonna and share notes. She has a similar situation that she mentioned in a post on TH last year called Weird Vibration.

And in addition to the comments that Wilmer may have for you, you may also want to contact Ramon Parcells in Detroit (Chuck, maybe you could help with contact information). And Chuck, himself may have some input for you!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Derek Reaban; 12-06-2006 at 06:14 PM.
    Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

Thread Information