Trumpet Discussion Discuss Dental question in the General forums; A few weeks ago I had to have an upper bicuspid removed. Within a few days I noticed that my ...
    New Friend
    Phoenix, Arizona

Dental question

A few weeks ago I had to have an upper bicuspid removed. Within a few days I noticed that my tone, endurance, and range, (such as it is), started to go downhill. Although a bicuspid is not one of the teeth directly behind the embouchure I'm wondering if the removal of this tooth could slightly change the alignment of the incisors and/or cuspid, (canine) teeth that would make a small change in the embouchure. I'm only asking this to try and determine what is going on. Is it the dental work or am I doing something stupid that is causing these problems? I should note that I also tinker around with an alto horn, and while my performance on that has been less than stellar lately, it has not gone as far down the tubes as the trumpet has.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Dental question

Ouch! Can only think of two things:
    1. The airstream got changed.
    2. A nerve got damaged.
    Neither one sounds fun, and sure hope it is something else!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

I have similar sensations when playing. I believe it is due to the embouchure muscles wrapping around the dental arch. My forward most molars sometimes feel "worked" after doing long tones. With a bicuspid removed the muscles don't have that tooth to arch over so they take a short cut across the gap. That is enough change to cause some problems.

My bicuspids were removed to make room for orthodontics many years ago. The ortho used that space to make everything left over fit into the available space. It you are still having problems after a month or two talk to your dentist about making a bridge. Or, if your teeth need straightening ask an ortho to evaluate your situation. Always tell them you are a trumpet player and you need to know what they are doing or going to do.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

Every "operation" is a traumatic experience for your body and takes its toll on many other aspects of daily life. The side effects take a couple of weeks to subside. The healing process is not finished in 2 or 3 days even although the wound does not bleed anymore! Healing robs us of energy and changes our sensitivity to pressure and pain.
    Stick to your old routine, add some more breathing basics and reevaluate in 4 weeks time.
    Changing your teeth WILL change the airflow in your mouth, so you are in store for some changes. Just keep the basics in the program and you will get through it.
    I know of no advantage that an orthodontist WITH trumpet player experience could have over one without. Fluid dynamics are not part of their training and they all move teeth from point a to b and can't model what will change for us afterwards. As every player and mouth is different, the results will also be different.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information