Trumpet Discussion Discuss Dents in the General forums; Ive got a dent on the second valve slide on one of my horns, and the bell is a little ...

Dents

Ive got a dent on the second valve slide on one of my horns, and the bell is a little out of shape around the rim, its not my good horn, just a practice one so I dont really want to spend the money to have it done professionally, does anybody have any ideas for popping these suckers out?

Fortissimo User
    Repair shop. Probably about $25 or so.

Yes, I noticed you didn't want to go professionally. But it's really not worth whacking away at it yourself. I tried to reshape a somewhat flattened bell once....ended up bending the whole bell tube at the front brace.

Sorry, but I have to second Tootsall. Just take it to a local repairman and pay a few bucks to have the dents removed. I've seen horns end up worse than they were initially when someone tried to take out a little dent with the rim of their mouthpiece. Not a good idea.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Mezzo Piano User
    The right tools cost many times more than the cost of repair. Take it to a pro.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Pianissimo User
    Just out of curiosity why do you have a "practice" horn. Does this mean that you practice on one horn and then play a gig on a different horn. In my opinion this just doesn't make sense. Every horn is different and thusly plays different why would you do that to yourself. I don't know about everyone else but I practice on the horn that I'm going to play on.

I have a "practice horn" for two reasons, a, I am in high school and I dont trust my good horn around the shmucks in my school, and b I play parades and my practice horn is a big bore horn better for parades, and I also dont care if it rains or snows on me. and those are the only times I use it in school or parades, I actually pracitce at home on my good horn and play "gigs" on my good horn. (the main reason is because I dont trust the shmucks in my school)

musicalmason,

Good point. I also did the same thing for the same reasons when I was in HS. TR-300 for the field and a Strad for everything else.

Custom Bach Stad 43
    81' MF ST-302
    51' Olds Super (LA)
    631 Yamaha Flugel
    ***Working on***
    Yamaha Xeno
    Martin Committee

Thread Information