Trumpet Discussion Discuss DePaul Trumpet Studio Audition/Q's in the General forums; Hello, first off I want to apologize for posting yet another college/audition thread! But, I really would appreciate any advice ...
    New Friend

DePaul Trumpet Studio Audition/Q's

Hello, first off I want to apologize for posting yet another college/audition thread! But, I really would appreciate any advice I could get!

I am currently going into my senior year of high school and I am looking at DePaul as my top choice. For my audition I am thinking about playing:

-"The Bride of the Waves" Clarke
    -"Intrada" Otto Ketting

I know none of you know where I am at with my current ability, but I guess I'm kind of wondering if I could get any suggestions for playing these peices, different pieces, or just the audition process in general? Also if anyone went to DePaul or is currently going there it would be great to gets some input from you! , such as what you played or any advice you may have.

Thanks for the time!

Pianissimo User

Re: DePaul Trumpet Studio Audition/Q's

Check the specific requirements on their website (I haven't). Even for an undergrad (I'm assuming you're auditioning as an undergrad), that list seems short. I expect that they require contrasting solos and a few excerpts. They may perhaps have specific solo/excerpt/etude requirements and scales. Definitely do your research.

You're starting at about the right time for a Jan-Mar audition. This gives you time to learn the repertoire. Not just playing it, but hearing it. Listen to it and study the score (piano score). Sing through it. Play it. Know the rep cold before you walk onstage, because you WILL be nervous, and being prepared is the only way to effectively combat (or survive) that.

Pick music that is inside your ability level and shows off your strengths. There's a reason I Enesco instead of Honnegger at my MM auditions. Also pick music that shows a player versatile in many styles - Baroque, if practicable, Classical, Romantic, Modern.

Finally, remember that it's your music that they're listening to. While you're on stage, concentrate on the music and the phrase, not the technique. It helps a lot if you pick music that you really enjoy, because you will be playing it for a long time and performing it often (multiple auditions and mock-auditions).

If you're given a choice, and you usually are, lead with your strongest piece.

Piano User

I've been told that the slow, lyrical second movements of the Hummel, Haydn, and Braundenburg concertos are good and then with the contrast of a technically demanding Arbans Characteristic study.

But yea I've checked out quite a few college websites and most if not all have audition requisites and it is very common (from what i've seen) that you'll have to sight read material.

(This is coming from a highschooler who's just done research so dont take my word on it!)

New Friend

DePaul simply requires two contrasting pieces and scales, its a ten minute audition.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Leading with the strong piece seems like a good idea...

I like both of those pieces as they offer a lot of opportunity to show musicianship instead of just technique.

The Ketting is easy enough to memorize and it is really effective when you have all of the notes in your head and can concentrate on the performance.

I am not sure that the Clarke is enough different. I would use the second movement of the Neruda instead, as the constant switch between triplets and 8ths gives you a great chance to demonstrate solid rhythm and ability to carry a musical line. It also gives the jury a break from the Haydn and Hummel....................
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information