Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Deserted Island in the General forums; If you were on a deserted island and could have a max of two horns, what two would you take? ...
    New Friend
    Jackson, MI

Deserted Island

If you were on a deserted island and could have a max of two horns, what two would you take?
    Mine go as follows:
    1. Yamaha 8345rgs
    Reeves alignment, mk rounded slide
    2. Yamaha chicago C trumpet
    Reeves alignment, sterling silver leadpipe
    YAMAHA 16c4, yamaha allen vizzuti, and a Bach 5B

Melbourne Australia

Re: Deserted Island

Deserted Island eh?

Hopefully the Island will be close to Scotland....Islay ...The Finest Single Malts....
    1, Real Cow Horn Quaich - Traditional Scottish Whiskey Cup | eBay

2. ..... the story goes...
    Single-malt scotch is un- blended whisky distilled in Scotland. But if you know nothing about single malts, or even scotch, don't despair. Baltimore has some great resources for you.

I found one at Pinehurst Wine Shop on Bellona Avenue in North Baltimore. Alfred Schudel is co-owner of the shop, a member of the St. Andrews Society for men of Scottish descent, proud owner of a kilt in the MacThomas clan tartan (his maternal ancestors) and a long-time fan of single-malt scotch.

Schudel can tell you not only about the distilleries and their products, but also advise you on the best way to sample and savor their various products.

He steered me toward a gift-box collection of samplers of six classic single malts and a video of Michael Jackson (the scotch guru, not the singer) guiding viewers through a tour of the six distilleries that made the single malts.

It's a combination tailor-made for your own amateur single-malt tasting - offering just enough whisky to warm your insides and enough explanation and context to help you tease out the range of distinctive tastes.

The collection leads you by the palate through a geographical tour of Scotland, from Glenkinchie distillery in the Lowlands to the Highlands where Dalwhinnie perches atop the mountains as the country's highest-altitude distillery.

Both are relatively delicate drinks. The Glenkinchie is a scotch even nonscotch drinkers would like, while the Dalwhinnie seems as delicate "as the driven snow," as Jackson puts it, or perhaps as thin as the high-altitude Highland air, as a less-enthusiastic fan might say.

From there, the tasting proceeds to a valley distillery, Cragganmore, which produces a smooth drink that accommodates such adjectives as "flowery," "herbal" and "fragrant." This is a subtle scotch, "a real sipper," as Jackson says.

From Cragganmore, the tour moves westward to the coast, where the seaside town of Oban owes its existence to the esteemed distillery of the same name. Aged in oak casks exposed to the elements, the whisky breathes in the salt air, taking on a whiff of the ocean and a distinctive and assertive taste.

Next come two examples of the great island distilleries. First, there is a taste of Talisker from the Isle of Skye, with a smoky, peaty sweetness and a fiery finish that will make you know why John Louis O'Sullivan, the 19th-century journalist and diplomat, described a sip of whisky as "a torchlight procession marching down your throat."

This tasting tour ends with an even peatier, more pungent scotch, the single malt of Lagavulin from Islay, the island home of half a dozen distilleries.

Should you prefer your tasting served by a knowledgeable publican, pay a visit to another great local single-malt resource, Birds of a Feather, a cozy, tin-ceilinged Scotch bar on Aliceanna Street, just east of Broadway in Fells Point.

For more than two decades, owners John and Alicia Horn have been stocking a hundred or more single malts, an impressive number of them proudly displayed on a magnificent oak bar.

But single-malt scotch has never been a mass-consumption drink. It is, rather, one to be savored by discriminating palates. Press a single-malt fan to name a favorite and you're likely to get a demurral. Each one is different and, as Jackson says, "There is one for every mood and every moment."

John Horn is the exception. He enjoys them all, but he's not afraid to divulge his all-time personal favorite: "Talisker, 10 years old."

So,,,my second choice of horn would be ....
    John...both company and knowledge, and hopefully some stocks of Islay Malts to drink and share tales. Then make a horn from a cow to blow...
    Last edited by Peter McNeill; 06-05-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Ithaca NY

For the first horn it would have to be a cornucopia, otherwise known as a horn of plenty. With that taken care of my second horn could be any held and played by Kiku Collins or Alison Balsom or Tine Thing Helseth or someone of their ilk, as long as they were INCLUDED. One longs for a human audience for sharing of the musical gift.

I must also say that without an audience there would not be as much motivation to play. Although strictly speaking I guess I could simply play for God and the gulls and other critters.
    Last edited by veery715; 06-05-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    tobylou8 and Peter McNeill like this.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Heart of Dixie

Probably my Bach 184 cornet and an Olds Ambassador trumpet. The Bach to play for my own enjoyment and the Ambassador to sound like a fog horn to call passing ships...
    Vulgano Brother and tobylou8 like this.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

tptshark and Peter McNeill like this.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

If it was a deserted island ..... I'd rather have a solar powered boombox/laptop with a Pandora App.

Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

Woodlawn, VA

The Ambassador would also be good as a club to kill game for sustenance. It would last until you were rescued.

In the spirit of of the OP's request....

My Olds recording
    My flugel

The rest i can do without if it's just me
    Ed Fitzgerald
    1954 Olds Super w/Bach 43 uptilt bell Frankenhorn
    1968 Olds Recording Trumpet
    1965 Bach Stradivarius Model 37
    Yamaha Xeno Chicago Artist C Trumpet
    1956 Conn 80A Cornet
    1951 Olds Special Cornet
    1965 Olds L-12 Flugelhorn

"Hindsight is always 20-20"

"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

Banned Mezzo Forte User

Olds Recording, Harrelson Summit.

Mouthpieces, Monette MF III and Harrelson SWE 14A4a

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Bell View Post
    You better hope he's old Chuck to get that one!!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Claymont, DE

My Strad, maybe one or two Schilke's, Alison, Kiku and Tine....
    Instruments: 1974 Bach Strad 180S-37, standard leadpipe
    Late 1960's Bach Strad 239 CML C trumpet
    2012 Schilke B5
    ACB pocket trumpet (Thanks, Trent!!)
    1959 Holton Collegiate trumpet
    1942 Conn 80A Victor cornet
    Sonora double French horn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information