Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Developing Relative Pitch? in the General forums; A piano or tuner is the best way to insure that your intonation will not improve. The well tempered intonation ...

Re: Developing Relative Pitch?

A piano or tuner is the best way to insure that your intonation will not improve. The well tempered intonation of a piano is a comprimise to be able to play in every key. The piano player cannot adjust single notes on the fly.
    Relative means just that. Each tone needs a "relation" to another. That means that the pitch of a note like an E is different depending if I am playing in the key of C, E, A.........
    I think it is important to get two players together and have them play different notes and LEARN that when they are in tune with one another that resonance gives us the confirmation.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I heard some good advice. Think of a random note and play it, if it doesn't match, try to get it to match. Just keeping thinking of playing random pitches and then play them, it helps a lot.

DC area

Try simple dictations first. if you have someone you can work with and a piano this will be easy. have someone else play a few harmonic intervals (two notes at the same time) and write down what you think the intervals are. start easy -- up to major thirds. work with intervals so that you get used to the sound of them and then add them into your dictation. then try melodic intervals (played one after another) and see if you can write the intervals and directions down. While you learn to hear intervals from a piano of other instrument you should also practice singing them. do the exact oposite of the dictation. Start off with a referance pitch and try singing intervals away from it. choose a different starting pitch, repeat. Sing up and down -- they are difficult in different ways. I'll promise you that this is the basis of any college level ear-training course. It's kind of hard to explain though so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Annie Lemieux
    2006 ITG youth competition WINNER

solfeggio is one of the best ways. and for of the most fun ways. haha
    I recommend just sitting down at a piano and singing. This will help your interval recognition greatly. I recommend fixed do rather than moveable do.
    But this is just one of the many methods to developing relative pitch
    Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by *~K*M~*; 12-10-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Mouthpiece buzzing is great for the ears and the horn. Get the Stamp book and work with a piano to check your pitch. Play scales, chords, tunes, and check with the piano to make sure you are spot on. With time, you can play longer phrases and still be in tune.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information