Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerv217
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Did anyone know Conrad Gozzo? in the General forums; My son won the Conrad Gozzo award tonight. We were doing some research on him and thought this site might ...
    New Friend

Did anyone know Conrad Gozzo?

My son won the Conrad Gozzo award tonight. We were doing some research on him and thought this site might help.
    cahorn2 likes this.

Chester, NY

Re: Did anyone know Conrad Gozzo?

First of all congratulations to your son! An award associated with this great Trumpet player is quite an honor! You may find the following link helpful to your inquiry.
    ITG 2003 Del Lyren - Conrad Gonzo
    Last edited by The BuZZ; 07-26-2007 at 11:08 AM.
    Stage 1: California Light
    Calicchio: Solo Copper 3/9
    Getzen: Eterna Flugel
    GR: 66MX, Zottola: 66 FL
    Assorted Garage Tools

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win. Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."

San Antonio, TX

Gozzo is on every trumpeter's short list of greatest lead trumpet players. Congrats to your son!
    Doug Walsdorf
    Schilke B2
    Kanstul 1525
    1927 Conn 22B New York Symphony
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

New Friend

My father, Frederick "Doc" Mirliani was the band director at New Britain HS in the 30's and 40's. Conrad was his student. My father told me so many stories of Conrad and what an incredible player he was at such a young age.

He came to school one day and told my father that he was going to leave school and play professionally. Of course my father tried to dissuade him, to no avail. He came back one day to visit my father and played a solo for the whole school with my father accompanying him It was "Stardust", I believe.

Conrad was the most influential player in my life. I have many of the Mancini albums that he played on. Also, Chuck Sagel put out an album with Goz on lead.

Your son should be very proud of his award. Goz remains the standard for all lead players.

Melbourne Australia

Hi Gerv217,
    Congratulations to your son; really a great achievement.
    It is interesting to read about Conrad Gozzo.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

New Friend

I was just looking around for an old friend and stumbled across the question; did anyone know Conrad Gazzo. Yes, I grew up with his son in Burbank. The Gazz's were like an extended family to me. His son, Conrad Gazzo, Jr. was a great Guitar player. It would be amazing to go to their home. Some of the people who would show up there would surprise you. I personally played sax. Mr. Gazzo had his issues, but was a one in a billion trumpet player. Your son who won that award has an award named after the best!

Thread Information