Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Differences between trumpets in the General forums; I've been looking into buying a new trumpet and i've discussed it with another trumpet player in my school. I ...
    New Friend

Lightbulb Differences between trumpets

I've been looking into buying a new trumpet and i've discussed it with another trumpet player in my school. I play on a student trumpet that was made in 1976 and is all beat up. I told her that I was looking at a bach strad and that I had played one. I loved it and thought that it made my sound better and was easier to slot on. She said that there couldn't be a difference difference and it doesn't matter what horn you play on. Her philosophy was that it shouldn't matter what horn you play on if you were good. While I agree that good trumpet players can generally pick up any horn and play good on it, this doesn't make sense why she would say there is NO difference. I do constanly practice and am trying to get better but I feel that my horn is holding me back compared when I play a better horn. What are your thoughts?

Re: Differences between trumpets

Of course, there is a difference between trumpets. But do the differences matter?

For a developing player, it probably doesn't matter. Or at the very least, it matters less than it would for an advanced player.

So, depending on how you look at it, you and your friend are both correct.

bumblebee likes this.
    Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

Great Southern Land

I played on my "student" trumpet for well over 20 years before buying a Strad. Now that was an epiphany for me, but before then I wasn't actually unhappy with my old Lafleur and never thought I'd reached a limit of sound quality or my skill on it.

Dennis78 likes this.

Forte User

When you can feel the difference, you could benefit. Student horn are designed to be a sturdy instrument for a player that would not benefit from a higher level horn. That being said, hand a pro a '79 student horn, and they'll make it sing.
    ConnDirectorFan and Dennis78 like this.
    Bach CR300 cornet
    Getzen 700 Eterna
    Getzen 390 (stay-at-school horn)
    Blessing "C"
    Yamaha 731 flugelhorn
    Buescher Custom Built model 264 Aristocrat cornet

Forte User

Of course there's a difference! Any good trumpet player can make a POS horn sound good, but why use the effort and energy to do so when you can play a better instrument at a lower cost to your body? If you can tell the difference and you feel your horn is holding you back, it may be time to move on to another trumpet which will work better for you. You'll find that what works well for one player may be all wrong for you, and vice versa. Take advantage of opportunities to play as many trumpets as you can, and in time you'll find what your preferences are and which horns are more compatible with you.
    Olds Studio trumpet
    Olds Special trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard
    "If it was just up to me, I'd have nothing but trumpet players on my show." - Jackie Gleason

Lagos, Nigeria

Your friend is wrong. Every instrument is different. Some players try to make them all sound the same, and they all sound moreorless the same. Some let each instrument take them where it wants to go, and then they all sound different. So all tastes are catered for. The world's your oyster. Go for it!
    Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio - B&S 3005 WTR-L - 1963 Besson 10-10 - Monke Mystery Horn - Spiri Vario
    C Trumpet: Inderbinen Alpha 200
    Bb Bass: 1961 Holton #58 "Symphony"

Wyrd oft nereš unfågne eorl, žonne his ellen dėah.

"Pypes, trompes, nakers, clariounes, that in bataille blowen blody sounes"

Don't listen to your friend. She is wrong. You already felt and heard the difference from your horn to the Strad.
    Two of my sons played the trumpet and they both started on a Strad and anyone with ears could hear the superior sound they
    had over the other players. It was not "harder" for them to play. In fact, it was a terrific Bach that played in tune and had easy response.
    The model was a 72/43 large bore and they had zero problem playing it.
    Yes, some of us can pick up a lousy horn and make it sound good, but at what cost? I have a rather terrible Getzen 300 D/Eb that I can force to play in tune. After a while of fighting, I put it away. I don't care who you are, you get tired of fighting a second rate horn, especially one that is beat up.
    I got a pro horn (an Olds Recording) late in my freshman year in high school. It made a huge difference in my playing and I went from a lousy last chair player in the Cadet band to a tie for 4th chair in the award winning Concert band the next. (I ended up 6th).
    Rich T.

dubuque iowa

Trust your instincts on this one. Generally they wont steer you wrong. As in everything in life there is good..better..and best. An upgrade usually comes with a step up in performance. Yes, even low end horns can be played by experts to sound beautifully but they certainly enjoy the playability of the quality instruments that allow them to concentrate on going farther than they ever could on a student model. All players want to be the best that they can be and even if it is only in your head, if you feel that the horn is holding you back, then it probably is. Its important that you know in your heart that the trumpet you are playing is the best one in the whole wide world for you. You say that that strad was a real eye opener for you. There you have your answer, there can be huge differences between trumpets, especially those labeled "student" and "pro", though these terms are a little fuzzy as to where the lines are drawn. Your friend has a somewhat snobbish attitude (and I don't mean this in a hurtful way) that she may have heard from other more advanced players who look to glorify themselves as superior talents no matter what horn they play. I'll bet they are playing nice horns. Best wishes.
    richtom, barliman2001 and Sidekick like this.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Casper, WY

My thought is avoid tiffs with bandmates. Also, enjoy going to music stores and playing different horns as you shop about.

There is no difference between a 4 cylinder Honda Civic and a badass V12 Lambrogini? Even if they both have wheels I like the Lamborghini better. Pro horn = better
    ConnDirectorFan likes this.
    Mainly a 1958 Holton B47 Symphony for band
    and a Bach cr310 for Brass band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information