Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Digital recording device in the General forums; Does anyone out there know of a really good digital recorder that records directly to mp3? I'm looking for something ...
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Digital recording device

Does anyone out there know of a really good digital recorder that records directly to mp3? I'm looking for something I can record my practice sessions/brass quintet with.

Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

Forte User
    Brisbane, Australia

Re: Digital recording device

Look for a used iRiver ifp790. You can't buy them new anymore, but they are great. They take one AA battery and they are small. My husband and I use one (hooked up to a Berringer mixer) to record our weekly podcast (Geek.Farm.Life Podcast).
    Queensland Wind And Brass
    Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. Thelonious Monk

Piano User

I have an Edirol R-09. Works very well. Records to mp3 (as well as 24 bit, 44.1) There is a built-in stereo mic (and will accept an external mic) and it records to SD cards, even accepts the 4gb high capacity cards. The interface is very easy to use. It does eat batteries and the door for the sd card slot takes a little getting used to using. Overall, I'm very happy with the unit.

Others have mentioned success with the recorders by Zoom. You might want to check those out as well since they are a bit cheaper than the Edirol.

SF Bay Area

Check out the forums on the Zoom H2 & H4.

They are both great units. I bought a Zoom H2 after all of the good reviews on this site. I record all of my gigs and use in my practice sessions as well. I usually just record at the highest MP3 setting, 320kbps.

With the H2 with it's four built in microphones, you can place it on a mic stand and place it in the center of your quintet.

The H4 has XLR and 1/4" inputs, with phantom power. It has some more possiblities.

You can usually find them on Ebay for $200 & $300 respectfully. On Ebay, the stores will usually throw in an extra 2 or 4 Gig memory card.

Here is a link from Sweetwater.

Zoom H2 Handy Recorder |
    Zoom H4 Handy Recorder |
    Last edited by JustinSmith; 01-31-2008 at 11:57 PM.
    Justin J. Smith

When people believe in boundaries, they become part of them.......Don Cherry

Piano User
    Gainesville, Florida

I have the older Edirol R-01 (New version is the R-09)

I am extremely pleased with it.

Especially the inboard microphone quality for rehearsals etc.

I use it each week at brass quintet rehearsal for evaluation for the following week's session to plan improvement areas.

The outboard microphone capability is also a good aspect to have available.

Have even recorded recitals with it.

Very clean sound and easy to use.

I did get a larger SD card for longer lengths as I use the 24 bit WAVE files mode most of the time.

Personal practice I use one of the many mp3 file formats

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

Piano User

I too have an Edirol R1 as well as a Zoom H2 - both are fine. The "new kid on the block" is a bit more expensive, but it looks to be more durable with much greater battery life - my brother-in-law just bought one and loves it:

Sony PCM-D50 |

Illinois State University

i really want to get one of the zoom recorders. would be great for practice and taking to performances. all recordings i have heard on them are good.
    "I have never seen a country where they worry so much about their chops as they do in America." -Maurice Andre

Quote Originally Posted by eisprl View Post
    Does anyone out there know of a really good digital recorder that records directly to mp3? I'm looking for something I can record my practice sessions/brass quintet with.

Zoom H4....EXCELLENT!!!!

San Francisco

The Zoom H4 and Edirol are both good options, but one thing to keep in mind is that just because something is small doesn't make it better. These small recorders are "convenient" only until you start pushing buttons that you didn't intend to. Don't buy until you try.
    |\_____ --- _____
    |/ (___=|||=__)
    Loud, Louder, Loudest, Lunchmeat!
    Monette Bb 149XL
    Calicchio Bb R3/9L
    Getzen 3850 Bb cornet
    Kanstul 1526 flugel
    Monette Chicago C and Eb
    Holton slide cornet [made @ 1920]

Roanoke Virginia

Creative Zen Vision M. It makes great recordings for ensembles or if you're practicing. I've recorded jazz combos and myself and I am very happy with it as a practice tool. It's so simple to use and it is a 60 gig. so you can hold a massive amounts of Mp3s, videos, pictures, recordings, and organizer data in the thing.

Trumpets kick brASS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information