Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Dilemma in the General forums; horner sez: I think i will try the yamaha for a while and see if i can get on with ...
    Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Re: Dilemma

horner sez:
    I think i will try the yamaha for a while and see if i can get on with it a bit better and if not think of a polite way of telling them.
    Wise choice. People are finicky when it come to getting and giving gifts. One of the best ways to hurt someone's feelings is to put a negitive feel on a gift that's been received.
    I tell my 7 year old daughter:
    "Even if it's something you have or something you don't like, ALWAYS say thank you and never think its nice to give it back to the person who gave it to you"
    In a nutshell you rob them of the good feeling of giving something.
    rowuk sez:
    Have the Yamaha cut down to make it a C trumpet. It may then have a greater chance of being played.
    This will only work if you have pin striping or flames painted on the bell once the machine shop ruins your horn..
    Last edited by Markie; 12-20-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Ithaca NY

Sit your parents down and tell 'em like it is. Be an adult and treat them as same.

"I love you and can't tell you how surprised and delighted I am by your thougthfulness. But, unfortunately, the Yamaha you bought me is not a good fit. It would be wonderful if you would give me your approval to return it towards a different horn, which I would select by playing the horns available and hopefully one would be a much better fit than the one you bought me."
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

veery sez:
    Sit your parents down and tell 'em like it is. Be an adult and treat them as same.
    There's no need to open the discussion so why create one. You have two horns.

I think your decision to not approach this topic with your parents shows a level of discretion and sensitivity well beyond most teen agers.
    Sometimes nothing (in this case saying nothing) can be a really cool hand.

It is nice to know there are youth out there that are repectful of how their reaction might affect their parents. I am proud of you!

Believe it or not, I had a similar situation back in the early 60s. I was considered by most to be extremely accomplished on trumpet for my age. I lived for the horn. For my 16th birthday my parents took my Olds Special and traded it in for an Olds Super (considered the pro horn for Olds) as a surprise present. Of course, I was very disappointed and upset. To be honest, I was quite attached to my horn and having it traded in unknowingly for a better horn (parents thought they were doing a great thing and were financially sacrificing to do so) was like having a friend take your "fair looking" wife and swapping them for a better looking wife. Maybe she was only fair looking -but I was quite attached to her. I did try to express my disappointment to my parents (didn't do near as good of job being tactful as you) and was given the choice of try the horn for a week and then decide whether to keep it or get the old one back. I eventaully decided to keep the horn -trying not to hurt my parents feelings. Still have the horn. Plays fine.

Anyway, I am impressed by your maturity and know that whatever your decision, you will do your best to help your parents understand the situation while expressing your appreciation.
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information