Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Disaster Relief for College Students in the General forums; Everyone, My university is offering free tuition to any college student attending a university closed due to the hurricane. Please ...
    Pianissimo User
    Oklahoma City

Disaster Relief for College Students

My university is offering free tuition to any college student attending a university closed due to the hurricane. Please pass this along to anyone you can think of because they need to contact us quickly. We have been in session for two weeks already, so they need to get here fast.

Here are the details:

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma City University President Tom McDaniel announced Thursday the university will offer free tuition to any student enrolled at a college or university affected by Hurricane Katrina.

This includes but is not limited to students at the following New Orleans schools: Dillard University, Loyola University, Our Lady of Holy Cross College, Southern University at New Orleans, Tulane University, the University of New Orleans and Xavier University. Students enrolled at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, Miss., also are being offered free tuition.

“We are opening our hearts and our university to these students,” McDaniel said. “Although we can not replace lost lives or undo damage caused by Hurricane Katrina, the OCU community is eager to help. In fact, it is part of the mission of our university. We don’t want this natural disaster to be a road block in these students’ educational path.”

The one semester of free tuition applies to undergraduate, graduate and law programs.

The university has extended its enrollment period by one week. Students may enroll through Sept. 9.

As a further gesture of generosity, university alumni and trustee members are being asked to open their homes to these needy students.

About 3,700 students attend OCU, which offers programs in dance, nursing, music, business, religion and arts and science. One semester of undergraduate tuition is valued at about $8,500.

For more information on enrollment, call Ryan McLaughlin at (405) 208-5051 during business hours. After hours, call Rick Hall at (405) 306-3931 or Bernie Patterson at (405) 255-3474.

Michael Anderson
    Professor of Trumpet
    Oklahoma City University

Forte User
    Northern New York
    That's generous.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Piano User
    The University of Alabama School of Law has set up a visiting student program to allow any law student from UNO or Loyola to attend classes for a semester tuition free. Also, the University itself is prepared to accept students from the affected areas without requiring them to transfer.

Also, there is a shelter on campus for those who need someplace to go. Tuscaloosa is right off of I-59 in West Alabama, right along the route for those coming out of Louisiana and Mississippi.

Pass this along to anyone you know.

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Nazareth, PA
    Texas A&M, University of Texas, and I wanna say University of Houston have also opened up. I believe we're opening up a place of residence for 1000 students. I have the info in an email from the president of the university. If anyone knows someone who this could help, PM me and I can get the specifics.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Artist in Residence
    Forte User

This today from James Wright, President of Dartmouth College:

To the Dartmouth community:

In response to the needs of college students whose lives have been disrupted by Hurricane Katrina, I have today approved a plan to offer temporary admission to academically qualified undergraduates from the colleges and universities whose operations have been affected.

Because we are still three weeks away from the opening of our fall term on September 21, we hope this will be of particular help to students who need time to assess their options and take action but hope to continue their studies this fall.

The students will be admitted under a temporary expansion of our Special Community Student Program, and we will not impose a limit on the number. We will review the program on a term-by-term basis, and will expect students to return to their home institutions once that is possible.

We will waive the tuition for these students, but they will be admitted with the provision that they pay the regular tuition at their home institutions. We envision that the home institutions will use the tuition funds to help rehabilitate their campuses and to help offset some of the impact on their local employees.

We are not in a position to offer housing on campus, but we will reach out to the community to organize a volunteer effort to help any students admitted under this program to find housing within a reasonable distance of the College.

There are many details of this arrangement yet to be worked out, but I am confident that we will soon be prepared to accept visiting students, and I look forward to welcoming them. We will work with affected institutions, higher education associations, the media, and members of the Dartmouth family to get this information out as widely and quickly as possible. Inquiries about these arrangements may be directed to Julie Bell, Coordinator of Dartmouth's Special Community Student Program at (603) 646-3098 or via email at [email protected].

Houston, TX
    Sam Houston State University (right down the road from A&M )has also opened up.
    Music isn't a career, it's a way of life.

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    An extremely fair and socially responsible reaction from all of the Institutions making the offers. They are to be congratulated.

Utimate User
    I'm not surprised at all, Toots, to tell you the truth. I think the next year is going to be a wonderful opportunity that will be taken by many, many Americans from all over this nation to lend a hand. I bet you'll see offers to work from many states to the refugees. We'll see American families opening their homes to complete strangers to help them get back on their feet.

This horrible disaster is going to reveal a good in folks all over the world that we've needed to see for a long time even stronger and longer lasting than the outpouring of good will we saw after September 11th, 2001. It's a pity that this had to happen just as we were announcing an unemployment rate of 4.9, the lowest in years. It's surely going to spike for a while but just as sure as I'm sitting here, Toots, every single one of us will be called in some small or large way to bring that legendary city back up to where it was and beyond. And we'll do it, too. Damned straight we will.

Local, state, and federal governments will do their share. Business will do its share. Churches, synagogues, and temples will do their share. Organizations funded by you and myself will do their share. The displaced will go back in and sweat to do their share so that they can look up one day and say "I helped rebuild this city."

So, you grab hold of that rope, Toots... I'm right behind you.

New Friend
    Starkville, MS
    Mississippi State University is also offering opportunities for displaced students. More information is offered at I believe there is a link at the top of our main page. Since we are about 4 hours north of the coast, we avoided the devastation even though the storm went right over us! We had many downed trees and generally a big mess but all things considered were very fortunate.

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny Laureano
    So, you grab hold of that rope, Toots... I'm right behind you.ML
    Goody, someone to land on when my foot slips in the mud! LOL.

Manny, I agree with you. And I do believe that things will eventually repaired. The one thing that I'm not so sure about is the wisdom of rebuilding below the levees. (But then, I question the intelligence of those who build on fault lines, in dry scrubland, or on coastlines subject to erosion). I know that the Dutch have succeeded with building major infrastructure below sea level and I wonder what secrets they might have that could be used in Louisiana. (Of course, they don't get hurricanes off the North Sea but the storms they can get are pretty fearsome!) I've even travelled across that dike (that's dike, not dyke) before they managed to complete pumping out the Zuider Zee; a pretty impressive bit of work in it's own right.

To see what Canada is doing, check out one of our news websites: or

I've never been to the Big Easy....and now I guess I never will (at least, not "as it was"). All I have is an old record of the Preservation Jazz Hall. Guess that will have to do for a few more years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information