Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss DIY Trumpet Teaching in the General forums; Patrick, I don't think that it is fair to create hope for DIY. It CAN be done, it HAS been ...

Re: DIY Trumpet Teaching

I don't think that it is fair to create hope for DIY. It CAN be done, it HAS been done and I would venture to say there have been far more failures than successes. I have helped many of these players come back.

What really happens is that the "DIYourselfer" has to get "lucky" with opportunities. I say this because normally a good teacher provides the first opportunities. Those start the "exposure" of the budding musician - and they run with it. Getting a break with no one going to bat initially is MUCH tougher.

My grandfather would have said that the school of hard knocks is not as hard if you learn to listen. A lesson is the premiere opportunity to LISTEN.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I never felt that I got lucky with opportunities, although I suppose I did have the benefit of an older sibling who was also a talented player. However, she was mostly as DIY as me. Then again, during the time she was coming up through the ranks and learning to play trumpet, my school had a powerhouse program, so there was a lot of competition and incentive to work hard because it was considered a good thing to be good in band. That's still not taking formal lessons though - those are general lessons in a group environment, so for those who wanted to do well, they listened to the band teacher, they listened to what was going on around them, and they worked hard to improve. I don't think you can underestimate the successes people can achieve when they have a strong work ethic and are willing to really dig in and try hard. In many cases, all a teacher does is to streamline instruction and prevent bad habits from forming.

I don't think I'm creating false hope for DIY - I've given a disclaimer that the person who wants to pursue it that way likely won't ever make the pro ranks, and they are going to have to do a lot of the groundwork themselves in figuring out what they need to work on and how to approach it - they have to come up with their own structure, but it can be done. I really dislike the current trend that I see where people think they need to be spoon-fed everything. Someone who wants to take the inititiative on their own, provided they aren't bumbling fools, can go a long way before they need the intervention of a real teacher - resources are plentifull thanks to the internet.

Again, we're still talking about a whole range of ability and where a player desires to be. If they are ok with being fair to middling in their abilities, they can be self-taught and still enjoy the fruits that can come with that - community concert bands and jazz ensembles, rehearsal groups that don't perform and that kind of thing. Even gigs for pay if they find the right opportunity.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Mezzo Forte User

I don't see me doing DIY in the long term because I do see me being "semi-pro" as I already have a "real job." I see for me DIY in the short term 'til whenever I get a teacher which is hopefully before the year's end. I desire to be good to great as I hate mediocrity. I may see what James Zingara at UAB is about as far as teacher choices go.
    Last edited by bamajazzlady; 08-25-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Getzen 907S Eterna Proteus

"It's amazing what we can accomplish if we don't consciously get in the way" Adolph "Bud" Herseth

"Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyway." Emory Austin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information