Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss DIY Trumpet Teaching in the General forums; Hey all! I want to know how many here are attempting or have attempted, although I know it's not wise, ...
    Mezzo Forte User

DIY Trumpet Teaching

Hey all! I want to know how many here are attempting or have attempted, although I know it's not wise, self teaching trumpet? I ask because I have yet to find a trumpet teacher in my city and part of me has moments where frustration comes immediately when I pick up my horn, put it to my lips and attempt to blow and the best way I can describe my sound is like a bad speedboat motor. My sources of frustration are embouchure and attack (sounding "tu" as I am new to that by way of Clarke Elementary Studies). Part of me doesn't want to put down my trumpet until I find a teacher as finding one takes a lot of time only to pick it up when I finally find one and still be frustrated, and I'm not the "overnight success" type when it comes to learning music.
    Getzen 907S Eterna Proteus

"It's amazing what we can accomplish if we don't consciously get in the way" Adolph "Bud" Herseth

"Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyway." Emory Austin

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: DIY Trumpet Teaching

Harold Mitchell's Trumpet Method provides all kinds of folksy advice, and Keith Johnson's The Art of Trumpet Playing and Phip Farkas' The Art of Brass Playing: A Treatise on the Formation and Use of the Brass Player's Embouchure provide all kinds of written instruction.

If you learn to really analyze what your various muscles are doing and can then describe what you are doing when you don't like the results, the folk here will be happy to act as an ersatz teacher.

Lots of good posts here to be found using the search function (although you can get real specific results if you use your favorite search engine, a multiple-word query in quotation marks and "".)

Have fun!
    Last edited by Vulgano Brother; 08-13-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added quotation marks around to indicate that it should be included in a search.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Greensboro, NC

Have you tried the Birminham Symphony? Or how about web cam lessons?
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

You can teach yourself. I did. I bought a Tune A Day Book One and a trumpet. (and later The Arban) Taught myself to read music and how to play. 25 years later I've played Solo Tenor Horn performing solos standing front and centre. And also play trumpet in a wind band.

Would I recommend it?

Although I can mostly play what's written, that's it. I lack all the ancillary skills and knowledge that being taught by a professional would have provided. Every time I pick up one of my instruments I regret never having lessons and truly understanding the music. If I could find a teacher near enough (and that I could afford), I'd take lessons now.
    Last edited by Rapier; 08-14-2011 at 03:22 AM. Reason: forgot the Arban!
    ''I'm nearly as good as I need to be,
    but not nearly as good as I'd like to be".

~Wild Thing Trumpet~ Eclipse Enigma Trumpet ~
    ~Kanstul 1525 Flugel ~ Smith Watkins K2 Cornet ~
    ~ Besson Bugle ~ JP152 C Trumpet ~

Northern California

San Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by amzi View Post

and for the record. the attack is not an easy skill to learn.... you have to learn to balance how much tongue (tu) and how much air (Hu) to use... and you embrochure has to be strong enough to handle it.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

I taught myself a lot of bad habits when I started and it's taken years to get rid of them. I wish I would have had a good teacher from the start.
    Darrien likes this.

Melbourne Australia

Quote Originally Posted by amzi View Post

This is what I did in Shanghai while I was there. I got a very good student to teach me Saxophone. I helped with his English and he taught me Tenor...

There are a lot of skilled young students that would suit a comeback player. My advice though is to look for a good professional music/ trumpet teacher, as you will save a lot of time.

BTW I still have music lessons on Friday nights with a really good teacher/player - and he only charges me the student fees through the music school. Cheaper than a 6 pack of beer, and a heap more fun. Worth looking at those musicians that may teach at the local schools...

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

If you think you've got some chops issues that won't be fixed through thoughtful, dilligent practice, then don't proceed without getting a teacher who can help address that, otherwise a person can take themselves quite a ways through following a disciplined regimen of practice and work from various trumpet studies, and through playing with various ensembles. Ultimately, if you want to "succeed" - i.e., play at a professional level and make it into professional level ensembles, I'd tend to think you'll need some lessons or direction along the way. A lot of it depends on what you want to do with it and how far you want to go.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Mezzo Forte User Trumpet Dreamer's Avatar
    Jazz Town, USA

I would suggest contacting Keith Fiala. He does web-cam lessons, is very, very patient, is a tremendous trumpet player, and on top of it all, he is a really nice guy!
    Getzen "Mike Vax" 3001MV Trumpet
    Kanstul - Besson International Trumpet
    Yamaha YTR-2335S Totally "Pimped" (Oh, Yes!)
    Custom CarolBrass CTR-5204L-RLM
    Carol Brass Pocket Trumpet
    Jupiter JFH-846RS Flugelhorn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information