Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Do pro guys have to be "lead" players? in the General forums; Dave, What an attitude! Your post is what every aspiring trumpet player should strive to be...a player that CAN play ...
    Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

What an attitude!

Your post is what every aspiring trumpet player should strive to be...a player that CAN play all the parts and WILL play whatever is asked of him. And all with a great professional attitude.

GREAT POST man!

Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

charlotte nc
    One word, bandman....

Brad Wilcox
    NYTC Endorsing Artist
    Stage 1 California Light
    Bells: Rose brass, Copper rimless,
    Gold brass, Yellow brass rimless
    Bach Strad Flugelhorn
    GR Mouthpieces

Pianissimo User
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by PH View Post

However, anything you can't do eliminates possible work opportunities.
    This is the most succinct and poignant answer to the O/P question! Aside from that, the other posts on etiquette and attitude will assist you in getting regular work within your niches.

Last edited by averagejoe; 08-13-2006 at 02:30 AM.
    trumpet is so hard because it is so easy

Georgia, USA
    Yes, I agree. When I read Pat Harbison's response I thought the same thing.

Bands that make money and get the bookings today don't include many trumpeters anyway, and those that do rarely carry many. With each additional member there are more expenses, more headaches, less pay, and . . . less bookings . . . since professional players have to eat.

THAT IS CONTRASTED . . . with the high school "big band." The jobs are free, and band directors like to get as many kids turned on as possible to "jazz," and a big band allows the director to involve lots of kids.

Heck, a dear friend of mine loads up his band with EIGHT or more trumpets, EIGHT or more trombones, EIGHT or more saxes, plus a big rhythm section. He even recruits budding electric guitar players from the general school population. His passion is EXPOSING THE KIDS . . . AS MANY AS POSSIBLE!

I like his approach, for a few might catch fire and take it past high school. It also eases the worries of the trumpeters about the big question, "What if I can't cut the lead part when called to do it?"

Nick's comments about big bands commercially is also right on the mark. No one makes any money playing in a big band . . . unless it is the contracting band leader/player. Many of them can't play worth a lick but can get the gigs. They generally take a huge cut off the top.

Heck, people would be SHOCKED what Maynard's sidemen make . . . or Tower of Power's sidemen. Chump change. It's called "paying your dues" . . . but later you realize that YOU want and need to make some real money too!!!

All young budding trumpeters need to prepare themselves to play whatever is needed to be played. There are a zillion guys with trumpets in the world looking to be able to play by hiding in the bowels of a big trumpet section.

If you were a budding tennis player with a weak backhand, I'd recommend you work on your backhand. If you were a trumpeter with a weak command of soloing, I'd recommend you focus on that weakness. Since your fear is the lead part, find a really musical lead player and take some lessons.

Lead is NOT about high notes! Lead is about playing more musically, and more accurately, than anyone else! Lead is about NEVER missing a note, and NEVER failing to play a certain phrase different than you did last time. And . . . lead is about having the most wonderful style and interpretation on notes and phrases.

You'll leave the high school/college big band scene behind when you graduate. After that, you'll start really appreciate playing in the smaller groups . . . because you cut is generally much, much better. When you end up being the ONLY trumpeter, and you can do it all, you WILL work a lot . . .

Forte User
    Jerusalem, Israel
    From my limited experiences, if you are good then it isn't a matter of who can do the most "tricks" with the horn rather it becomes a matter of politics.

As to who gets the 2nd & 3rd slots, the lead players want a good back up and they know who will provide that for them. If you want such a slot, as Gerorge Graham use to say to me, go to the performances, get to know the trumpet players, etc, etc and make friends...............especially with the lead player and bring your horn for some after gig jamming to show him what you're worth.

In other words, make friends and get yourself known.

Liad Bar-EL

Pro 'GUYS"???

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxytrpt View Post
    Pro 'GUYS"???
    Prez (Lester Young) used to call everyone "Lady"
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Metro Detroit
    Quote Originally Posted by bandman View Post
    When someone plays well, tell them they play well, and let them know you enjoyed playing with them. Let them know you are not a threat to them. Often that will help you get future calls.
    Dave you never cease to amaze me!

This along with everything else you said is great wisdom.

I'm not a pro; or a lead player. I can play lead but I'm not solid there I have more work to do.

I'm grateful to play with anyone, anytime, in any section, and on any part.

For me Dave; your words were spot on!

Your students stand to gain much more then the music education they are getting if they pay attention to what you have to say!

2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information