Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Do you have trumpet nightmares? in the General forums; This is supposed to just for fun and/or interest. Since I have taken-up the trumpet on a serous comeback. I ...

Do you have trumpet nightmares?

This is supposed to just for fun and/or interest.

Since I have taken-up the trumpet on a serous comeback. I have had two trumpet nightmares. The first is that my teacher says: "We have been working forever to fix your embrochure to teach you to play properly and it is not going to change. You are not getting any better. I think you are more ideally suited for the trombone." Please, no knock against trombone players. It is just that my heart lies with the trumpet and I feel devasted in my nightmare. Second, I dream that I have practiced too hard and I wake up with an upper lip the size of a football and have to wait until god knows when to practice again. I feel sad in my dream because I do not know when I can pick-up the trumpet and play again.

Have you had a "trumpet nightmare"? If so, what is it?

Pianissimo User

Re: Do you have trumpet nightmares?

Not a trumpet nightmare, more of a music nightmare.

There was a piece of music in front of me which was supposed to be the ubiquitous nokia ring tone from 2001. When I tried to play it (on piano) it came out sounding like the theme music from Super Mario Bros level 1-2. It was so frustrating that the sounds didn't match the printed music. It was honestly like a nightmare.

Melbourne Australia

Trumpet Nightmares:
    Umm...I bought one, a Lark Trumpet from China in the early 1970s.

AND to show the definition of an idiot; I bought another Lark Trumpet in 2003, and it was a repeat Nightmare. Scarry!!

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

I still have Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps nightmares. In most of them I'm trying to get into uniform in time for the march on to a show and I just can't seem to get it together. I can hear the drums going out, then the fifes, and I'm still trying to button up my vest before putting on the great coat, wig and three cornered hat. That, or I can't find the right uniform pieces. I usually wake up before the bugles would start playing and marching out, but in the off times I don't, I can never seem to remember the right part to the music, and then I wake up.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

dubuque iowa

Man you guys are some sick puppies!! Just kiding. How about picking up your horn to play and having no idea which end to blow into. I expect it must feel like waking up after a stroke and having your body not respond to your will....terrifying.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

New Friend

My first trumpet nightmare came before I'd ever even touched a trumpet, when I'd already wanted to play trumpet for maybe two or three years already.

I had a dream where I found one in my home. I thought, "Man, this is so cool! I finally have a trumpet!" I didn't know how to play brass. I didn't even know there was a lip buzz involved yet. I just knew that the valves were busted.

I woke up and started browsing for a new trumpet immediately.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

I arrive just before a concert and discover I left my white tie and tails at home far, far away.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New Friend

I pick up the trumpet and begin to play. Every note is "off". I hear this airy sound coming from the horn. My 10 year old daughter puts me to shame even though she has only been playing for a few months.
    Then I realize that I'm not dreaming and this is actually taking place in real time.
    Welcome to the life of a newbie.

Piano User

...these nightmares usually happen when i am awake playing merengue gigs.....then the gig is over and i sleep very well.....

West Texas

Keeping with the theme of the last couple of threads, where I WISH I would wake up....

Showing up at a rehearsal for a "new to me" church ensemble to discover there is no music director, the choir people are making the decisions, they are using different arrangements/sheet music than you for every song, and the songs are in Concert D, A, B, A, A, and B in that order.

In the third song, skip one section, and instead of the Coda, jump to measure 25 of song 4 ("The piano player will comp a bit before actually starting measure 25, and we don't have anyone to cue you, but you'll know when to come in because we'll start singing the verse starting with "All I need..." on beat 2 of measure 25. Oh, you have pickup notes to that measure and the horn line begins five beats before the voices? You'll be fine...")

Oh, and in the "Verse" section of that fourth song we're taking the second ending the first time through, the third ending the second time through, modulating to another key ("We don't have a score for that -you'll have to transpose.") the third time through, taking the first ending, and going to the Coda section early.

Finally, on the last song, after not playing anything for over 15 minutes of service, and after playing a song with about 20 notes total, end on a sustained High C on cue for as long as the voices want to stretch out the last phrase.

There are MANY scale studies in my future before Sunday...

- Responsibility is Freedom -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information