Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss does anyone else not use the pinky ring for the right hand? in the General forums; I use it for mute changes, picking up the horn w/right hand, when I empty water, but not when playing, ...
    Forte User
    Northern New York
    I use it for mute changes, picking up the horn w/right hand, when I empty water, but not when playing, generally.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Can't live without it.

Metro Detroit
    I use it.

When I was in Jr. High I got into the habit of not using it; not sure why. My band director came by and slapped my hand with his baton and told me, "The ring is on your instrument for a reason. Get your finger in it because to play not using it is just plain incorrect!)

Painfull lesson learned the pinky has not come out of the hook since.
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Lafayette, LA, USA
    I think that the question should be "where is your thumb when you play?"

I use the pinky ring more as a rest, but my thumb is always loose against the first valve or not touching anything. The tendons don't tighten up if the thumb is correctly placed, and the fingers are free and easy if the thumb is placed against first valve.

I get really upset with my students when I see the thumb sticking up between the leadpipe and the bell. They are allowed to use the pinky ring as long as only the first digit of the pinky is inside the ring.

One last thing -- I tell them to hold the trumpet with the left hand, and play it with the right hand. And yes -- when I play in class I teach by example and I hold my instrument correctly.
    C - Harrelson 750 Modified Bach Strad
    Picc - Schilke P5-4
    Flugel - Kanstul ZKF1525
    Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37
    Bb - Bach Strad LT 180L-43

New Friend
    St Paul, MN
    Here is an exercise...Stretch out your hand, as if you are going to give someone a high five. Now, just try bending your pinky finger without moving your ring finger. Difficult, eh?

I always play with my pinky resting on top or not even touching the ring at all as it helps my finger dexterity and technique. I also agree with bandman in saying hold the tpt in left hand, and play with your right hand.
    Dan Julson

Indianapolis, Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by eisprl View Post
    I rest my pinky underneath the ring. It doesn't however make contact with the ring. I find that a little extra pressure when needed isn't that bad just as long as you don't shive the horn in your face.
    I do this also. The exception is with quick and tricky fingerings; I keep my pinky out of the ring.
    Dale Schmidt, P.E.
    Bridges to build and Rivers crossed...

Pianissimo User
    I find it easier to move the fingers around qiuck on a fast lick if the pinky is out of the ring.

Rochester, MN
    The only time I use the ring is to turn a page, change a mute or empty the spit valves.

While I play my pickie is never is the ring.

Woodland, AL
    I use it some times others I don't. It doesn't really matter for me.
    "I'm not a fighting man, but I really wasted that cat."- Maynard ferguson

Pianissimo User
    South England
    Hmm I feel it necessary to dvulge something rather embarassing in relation to this matter, so please don't laugh at/ abuse me!!

A couple of months ago, I actually broke my pinky finger when playing the trumpet; I was using far too much pressure after a 6hour intensive with my orchestra and then encountered the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced!

So I don't use the ring any more!

But this has shown me that I have real problems with pressure, and unfortunately, I cannot play for as long/ get as high as I could with pushing via the pinky finger in the ring.

But I'm hoping it will work out for me in the long run!

Haydn wrote a Trumpet Concerto?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information