Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Don't Clean Your Trumpet? in the General forums; Originally Posted by rowuk Why comment nobrainers? I read a story about Mao Tse Tung never brushing his teeth. His ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Re: Don't Clean Your Trumpet?

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Why comment nobrainers?

I read a story about Mao Tse Tung never brushing his teeth. His logic was that a tiger never brushes theirs and doesn't have any problems!

Aerosols and food particles blown into the horn can cause mechanical damage (valve wear) as well as the acidity of our saliva drawing the zinc out of the brass, causing red rot. Rotting food particles have an interesting bacteria count.

That would even be a great project for a high school biology class - wipe a swab in the tuning slide of a poorly maintained trumpet and put it in an agar solution. Wait a couple of days to see what grows. Do the same for a "clean" trumpet. Then publish the results here.
    Haha i like this one, i should save it for when i take bio next year and use it for extra credit
    1970 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1970s Buescher Aristocrat-student horn
    2012 Dynasty Professional Marching Trumpet

Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps-'11, '12

Why G bugles need to come back to DCI

Other stuff:
    Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 2002
    Honda Fourtrax 300 2x4 1998
    Polaris Indy 500 1998
    Polaris 550 2-up 2007
    Polaris 800 XCR 1999 with custom suspension

Palm Desert

"In my humble estimation, even a 12-year old can learn how to disassemble and reassemble a trumpet. In our threads here we tend to make the process sound much more complex than it really is..."

Exactly. As long as he or she doesn't clean it over a sink with an open drain when removing the small parts. I had a student who had to call the plummer to retrieve a bottom valve cap when he did this.

For those of you comeback players who pull your horn out of the closet after X years, clean it before you play! I bought a great old Besson that was in practically new condition off of an estate sale and decided to pop my mouthpiece in and give it a blow in the car on the way home. It seems I sucked in about 30 years of dormant spores when I did that and was sick for two weeks! Keep your horns clean!!
    Geoff Winstead
    Author of The Real Way to Play the Cat Anderson Trumpet Method - A Step by Step Approach to the Upper Register

Yamaha 6310ZS Shew
    Conn Connstellation 38B
    FoKus Artist Model 10.5

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Why would ANYONE do ANYTHING that Alex from ZeuS trumpets says?????

Here is the moronic story.

Trumpet Care Cleaning Maintenance

If you decide to not clean your horn, you deserve whatver you get.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Bell View Post

I have a hard time accepting that any dealer would purport such drivel.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Pianissimo User
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Are not Student horns Meant to be a Learning tool? I would have to agree with Veery about understanding your horn. So, it would be better for them to practice on a student line Conn rather than the Bach Strad. they get in HS... Correct?

After the article i noticed that there is no place for us to comment on Theories...opinions..garbage
    Last edited by RUFocused; 05-07-2009 at 06:39 PM.
    "The Horn is just an Amplifier, The person makes the beautiful music"

Benge 90B,
    64 Olds Ambassador mod.,
    65ish Olds Ambassador Cornet
    Conn 1050b (My 1st Trumpet)

Wishlist: (Let me know If you have played one)
    Kanstul ZKT 1601 Signature
    Kanstul ZKT 1500A Signature
    Phaeton FX Antique Brushed Finish

Monroe Ct.

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Bell View Post

Every time his name is mentioned, he gets a free add. I know it's hard to believe but his negative adds and attitude, sell trumpets. Now you and I both did it.

Pianissimo User
    Id (summer) CA (winter)

I'm an old retired band teacher and trumpeter who has played an Olds Recording since the mid 50's. Once a year I clean my horn by filling it full of warm (nearly hot) water mixed with Palmolive dish soap. Blow this thru the horn several times, then rinse it thoroughly with clean luke warm water. Vaseline all the slides, oil the valves and you are set. Love those Olds valves. They are as good today as they were in 1954. Why did they ever stop making the Recording?
    Bill Martin

Bottom line is this....If you don't want to CLEAN your trumpet, don't PLAY your trumpet. Instead, sell it to someone who will.
    Comeback player after 15 years.
    Horn: Blessing B127 Silver

Mouthpieces: Bach 7C, Curry 7Z, Curry 7M, Yamaha 14A4aHGP, Schilke 14B

Fort Campbell, KY

Can i ask you a question?
    When you use the washroom, do you wash your hands afterward?
    Then in a week or so do you clean the toilet?

You should wash things when they become dirty
    King Model 601 (my favorite horn so far)
    Vincent Bach 3c and 5c
    Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps 08, 09
    Choctawhatchee Stylemarchers 07,08
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Indianapolis, Indiana

Below is a copy of a Cleaning Guide that I found that I give to all of my students. Pass it along to your students and hope it is of value.

Care and Cleaning of the Trumpet

Trumpet Care
    To clean your horn you will need the following stuff:

A set of brushes; valve casing, mouthpiece, and a snake
    A soft cloth to dry your horn
    Valve oil and slide grease
    Musical instrument soap (Lemon Joy works well)
    A bath tub or a large tub to wash your horn in
    About an hour of time for first timers

To clean your horn, begin by removing the main tuning slides and the slides attached to the first, second and third valves. If any of these slides are stuck, do not use tools to force them off, this will only end up damaging your horn. Take the horn to your music teacher or the local music shop, they will have the necessary tools to remove the slide. Use a paper towel to remove all traces of slide grease from the slides and horn.

Removing the valves for the first time is scary, but take your time and don't force anything and you and your horn will be fine. To remove the valves, begin by unscrewing the nut on the FIRST VALVE ONLY. SLOWLY pull the valve straight out HALF WAY. Look on the valve for a little 1 stamped on it (see picture). On a piece of paper, write down which way the number faces; to the left or to the right or straight ahead.
    It will be very important that you replace all valves in the correct direction. Next remove the other two valves. Notice that all the valves have their own number. Remember to write down which way the numbers face. Put the valves on a soft cloth somewhere safe.
    The last thing to come off are the caps on the bottom of the valve casings. Sometimes these can be really stuck. Remember, don't use any tools to take them off. If you can't get them off, don't worry about it. Leave them on for now, later you can take the horn to a music shop to have them loosened.
    Fill your bathtub with about 6 or 7 inches of lukewarm water, just enough to cover the horn when you put it in. Put a small amount of dish soap in the water and mix it up with your hand. Palmolive or Joy are best, the others may leave a film behind. Remember, only add one squirt of soap. For all you scientists, one squirt equals about 2 tablespoon.
    To clean your valves, place all three in a tall plastic cup. Fill the cup with just enough of the soapy water from the tub to cover the valves, but not any of the felt on the valves. Use your valve casing brush to clean the airways of the valve; let them soak.
    Put a large towel in the bottom of your bathtub to help keep the horn from getting scratched. Gently put the horn, slides, and mouthpiece into the water. Squirt a little soap on your valve casing brush and with your horn still underwater, SLOWLY and GENTLY brush out your valve casings. The valve casing is the hole where the valve was. Remember, this is a delicate part of your VERY expensive horn, so be gentle. Try to only brush up and down.

Squirt some soap on the end of your snake and run it through the horn and slides. Don't try to force the snake around the small curves of the smaller slides cause it just ain't gonna work. Remember, you're cleaning a delicate instrument and not a bicycle. While you're at it give your mouthpiece a brushing too. Let all the pieces soak for a while if the horn is especially grungy.
    After you're satisfied that everything is clean, empty the water from the tub and refill it with fresh water. Take a plastic cup and pour fresh water into all the twists and turns of the horn and slides until all the soap is gone. After you're satisfied that all the soap is gone, lay the horn and pieces out on a dry, soft towel.
    Use the softest cloth you can find to gently wipe the water off the horn. Music shops sell special cloths that you should use, but if you can't get one you can use a really old, but clean T-shirt or flannel pajamas. Let the valves and valve casings air dry completely; this is very important for having fast valves.
    To put the horn back together, first grab the big slide. Put a small amount of slide grease on it and slowly slide it into the horn. Do the same thing with the other slides. If you forgot which slide goes where, remember that the biggest slide is the tuning slide, the next biggest goes in off the third valve, the smallest goes in off the second valve and the other slide goes in off the first valve. Sometimes those small tubes don't go on easily. To help, put a few drops of oil on the tube before you slide it in. The oil film also helps prevent corrosion, but be sure that all surfaces are free of water.
    Now comes the fun part. Find the valve marked 1. Squirt about 10 drops of valve oil on the valve and 10 drops down the first valve casing. We like to use a finger to rub the oil on the valve and interior casing just to be sure that oil is all over the piston. GENTLY AND SLOWLY slide the valve in.
    After the valve is in, slowly twist it and listen for a "click". Not all valves will "click", so if yours doesn't don't worry. Pull the valve back out until you see the little 1. With the little 1 pointing in the same direction it was when you first took it apart, slide the valve back in. Gently screw the valve nut back on. This should go on very easily so DON'T FORCE IT. Go through the same procedure with the other valves. Make sure to put the valve caps back on.
    After everything is back on, grab your mouthpiece and give your horn a blow. Does it work? Do all the notes come out easily? If not don't worry, you probably have a valve in wrong-no problem. Unscrew the valve nuts and make sure that all the valves are in the right holes. Also check to make sure that ALL the little numbers are facing in the same direction. Give it another try.
    Does it work? If not, the valves just aren't aligned right. Try this trick. Take off the second valve slide and unscrew the second valve nut. Now look into the holes where the slide was. Push the valve down and twist it until you see the holes in the valve align with the holes where the slide was (see picture). Now pull the valve straight out and look for the direction the little number is facing. Make sure all your valves face this direction. If nothing seems to work, just take the horn to your teacher or the music shop. They can fix it easily.

So now you're done. Make sure to clean up the bathroom and put your oil and brushes back into your case. Remember, practice, practice, PRACTICE.
    Indianapolis, Indiana

"It is not necessary to understand music;
    it is only necessary that one enjoy it"
    Leopold Stanislaw Stokowski

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information