Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Dont know how many remember me in the General forums; Hey guys, Last time I had posted was back when I was in Queensland Australia. I had a few forum ...
    Piano User

Dont know how many remember me

Hey guys,

Last time I had posted was back when I was in Queensland Australia. I had a few forum members try to show me how to make my Embouchure etc... I was the owner of the Stomvi Mambo 5 trumpet 3-4 years ago. I couldn't afford the Classica back then which is the one I wanted. To refresh your memory it is found here: (Stomvi Update)

I haven't been around since Queensland as I started singing and last week bought a Saxophone as I thought that is the ultimate 'romantic' sound I wanted. Sold all my gear including my mambo 5.

But the inevitable happened. 1 week after owning Saxophone, I had sold my Student Cornet Besson 1000. The man that bought the Cornet played a few things and I was like 'hmmm' cause I liked the sound of it. Then he told me he has a brass band and to top it off, was part of the same church I am a part of. Then i really felt 'inferior' with my sax in the boot because its like... You go to my church, you have a brass band and I cant play in it because I'm now stuck with this sax!

Next morning I rang up the shop I got it from and asked if I could by any chance return it. He asked me if it was perfect still, I said yes, he said bring it down. I brought it to the store, he checked it all over, and I ended up with a trumpet again!

Now I own the Stomvi Classica which is a SUPERB horn compare to the Mambo 5 I had. Absolutely love it. The sound just seems to stick together higher up. It is more solid in its sound. Now I can also join that brass band!

Guess I am a trumpet player and so I am back!

After seeing how long you need to set up a sax for (get the neck out, put it in, get the mouth piece out, lick the reed, put the reed on correctly, add the ligature, finally turn the screws, then finally stick it on the neck of the sax, and then finally put neck strap over and connect it, and THEN finally able to play)... BAH forget that. By the time I get that together I could have played 2 songs on the trumpet.

The trumpet also can play sweet beautiful music that sax can play but it also plays royal/baroque music that a sax can NOT play. So I find trumpet much more versatile.

Reeds you buy a box for $60 you get 10 pieces. On going cost for life, you never have a consistent sound because most reeds wont sound as good as one of the reeds in the box, so 90% of the playing wont sound how u want and 10% will because one reed was good. With trumpet, you pay $80 for a mouthpiece (or 300 like that Monette B2S2 I had) and it lasts for life and the sound is always consistent as its brass not wood.

Then with sax you gotta lick the reed non stop, so what crap you put on it today, tomorrow you re-lick and I know wood absorbs stuff into itself. YUCK! Brass mouthpiece = Wash and perfect.

Trumpets in EVERY way legendary. I also find it very comfortable to hold. Just pull it out stick mouthpiece in and play, no mucking around for 5 min.

Also More trumpet sections in orchestra to play, can join brass band (which sounds absolutely Kingly) which you cant with sax.

Sax service fees cost a LOT more as well.

AND which I forgot to mention, I can play around with hundreds of different mutes for different sounds and to simply play quiet while sax again I dont think is possible as sound goes out the buttons as well as the horn.

This also means trumpet is overall louder as all the frequencies go through the horn and thus all are amplified.

So Trumpet is just perfect.

I did want to ask however...

I plan to attend a conservatorium and do my grades so that I can get serious about my playing and become a professionally skilled player. I am near Bathurst New South Wales in Australia. Does anyone know if there are good brass teachers out west here (west of Sydney) at the conservatory?

I really need someone technical, for correct breathing, correct embouchure etc. Not some 'im learning myself' teacher trying to teach but themselves are learning.

Here are pictures of my new joy!

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Dont know how many remember me

Welcome back! You have some hard work in front of you if you want to play on a professional level. To make up for lost time, I'd suggest listening like crazy to the orchestral masterworks, great classical and jazz soloists and big bands. Practice a bunch too.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

The Wide Brown Land

.... as to all that stuff about saxes - why didn't you ask?

Welcome back BTW. It's like coming home - you are now one of us, a Comeback Player with a really nice instrument.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Vienna, Austria, Europe

That is one great Christmas story.. another prodigal son has left the saxophone sty, and we here at TM will try and slay the fatted calf for you. As I am nowhere near Queensland, I can't really recommend a teacher; but you might approach some of our Aussie members. They are sure to be able to help you with that!
    In the meantime: Play and be merry, and don't feel remorse for the s#$&ophone. Remember: When Adolphe Sax turned from inventing sensible new brass instruments to fiddling about with woodwinds, the result was actually banned from Church use by the Bishop of Paris...
    The guy had a point!
    A happy festive season to you, and keep us posted!
    tobylou8 likes this.

Fortissimo User
    East Yorkshire

Welcome Back Pal
    Andrew Sapcote

Yamaha 4335 GSII Trumpet
    Conn Victor Cornet
    Weltklang Rotary Trumpet
    DEG Signiture Cornet Silver Plate
    B and S Sonora Trumpet
    Besson Brevete Flugel Horn
    Monette Silver 6 Mouthpiece
    Gear For Music Basic Euphonium
    Saving up for a Flugel.

Piano User

Im west of Sydney, New South Wales. Not queensland anymore.

Town near Bathurst

Melbourne Australia

Welcome back,

As a Queenslander would say to a New South Welshman - Welcome Cockroach!

- Bathurst is a nice place to be.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Welcome back mate!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Pianissimo User

You near Mount Panorama? Do you ever watch the races? Great track, I've put a few miles on it in iRacing.

South Salem, NY

I remember there was a private school in Bathurst with a pretty good music program. They had good instructors - might be worth contacting them.
    Ivan Hunter
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Program facilitator for
    Bringing Music back into the Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information