Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Double 'C' in the General forums; Do you guys think that some people are just predisposed to being able to play high on the trumpet more ...

Re: Double 'C'

Do you guys think that some people are just predisposed to being able to play high on the trumpet more easily than others? Like, for example, a singer being a tenor? It's something that you're born with, and, as my singing coach put it, lets a (male) singer hang around in the upper register more easily. Are there trumpet tenors?

Turtle
    Last edited by turtlejimmy; 04-17-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

Quote Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
    Do you guys think that some people are just predisposed to being able to play high on the trumpet more easily than others?
    I think so. Same deal - it depends on the equipment you come with (teeth, mouth, lips, tongue, brain)

Ars longa, vita brevis

Forte User

well it is still a VERY VERY COOL thing for me
    I can see that. I know I'd feel the same if I was getting those notes . Nothing wrong with spice
    Philippe.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Do you guys think that some people are just predisposed to being able to play high on the trumpet more easily than others? Like, for example, a singer being a tenor? It's something that you're born with, and, as my singing coach put it, lets a (male) singer hang around in the upper register more easily. Are there trumpet tenors?

Turtle
    Yes, there are trumpet tenors! There are players with natural fingers, natural timing, natural high notes, natural business sense, natural idiots (oops).

Yes in the trumpet world you can find wonderful (and not so wonderful) combinations of the above too!

Please note: the natural disposition does not mean that the person involved does not have to pay their dues. The complete idiot also has a lot of practice time...............
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Yes, there are trumpet tenors! There are players with natural fingers, natural timing, natural high notes, natural business sense, natural idiots (oops).

Yes in the trumpet world you can find wonderful (and not so wonderful) combinations of the above too!

Please note: the natural disposition does not mean that the person involved does not have to pay their dues. The complete idiot also has a lot of practice time...............

Right. No matter where you fall on the natural ability to idiot coninuum ... it's back to the shed!

Turtle

Especially those of you running up huge posting counts. You know who you are .... .... Why aren't you practicing? Back to the shed!
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

1525 posts ain't nothing to sniff at, dude :)
    Scodwell Bb
    Callet Sima
    Wild Thing Bb
    Wild Thing Flugel

New Friend

It all depends on so much. But yes, obviously it has to do with waht god provided you. PERIOD. Some could practise till they're blue in the face and never be able to hit Maynard's range. It's al physiology. Teeth length, realtive lip length, musculature, tongue capabilites etc.etc.

Same as if you play and practise hockey long and hard enough by NO MEANS implies you'll make it to the NHL.

There are tricks though. Some repsond to different embouchures, shallow cups etc. I for one used to be able to hit and lip trill easily on a high G when I was younger, but realized that in my haste to reach the top engaged in improper techniques that hurt my lower range tone and articulation. I used the lip stretch and roll in technique, but had to completely unravel to play a middle C.

Now I've completely changed my embouchure to a correct "mmm"-type emboucher that provides good intination at all ranges, although I'm not really trying to get that stratospheric range back. I prefer the middle now. Too many headaches. :)
    Trumpet:
    Sonare TRC-900S Trumpet -
    Blackburn sterling silver mouthpipe, cryogenic treatment, 3rd slide waterkey.
    Olds Ambassador
    DEG Soprano
    A 2-valved trumpet chrome plated, keyed in G

Bass Trumpet:
    Berkeley

Mellophone
    Yamaha YMP-204MS

MPs:
    Trumpet

Gary Radtke GR65M
    Schilke 14A4A, 13B, 13A4A (inscribed initials by Maynard himself), 6A4A
    Giardinelli
    Yamaha 16CGP, 14BGP
    Bach 3C, 7C, 10C

Mellophone
    Denis Wick #5 Alto - Heritage, Standard
    IYM Larry Kerchner
    Curry 1HTF, 90TF

Do you guys think that some people are just predisposed to being able to play high on the trumpet more easily than others? ...
    Turtle

I'm in the opinion that most people with normal abilities on the trumpet can play a line or two of a song up to the Double High C, and maybe touch on a good D or E above that.

BUT - I always like to say that for me - this has taken 2000+ hours of concentrated work on all aspects of sound, range, tonguing, scales, and such.

I'm thinking that it's 50/50 - it's 50% of developing the muscle tone in the lips and face, along with good air control -- and the other 50% is mental conditioning (concentration) to make the whole thing (aperture, breathing, fingers, and face) to come together to produce a decent sound.

and for me -- NOT every day is awesome -- some days I suck, some days there is a "whole" in my range (lately it was a high C), could get everything below, and everything above, but couldn't play that stupid note ---- aha! mental conditioning - once I start missing, I press harder, and then at some point realize -- you got to go back to the basics, soft, slow, concentrated, etc.)

that's my opinion - what's yours??
    Last edited by kingtrumpet; 04-17-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add consistency

469 posts!! -- hey I still have time to practice.
    Last edited by kingtrumpet; 04-17-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: 469 now

I believe any one can learn to play anything if taught correctly. This includes the upper register. Playing high is technique, not brute strength, or years and years of practice. The problem is very few know how to do it themselves,let alone know how to teach it. A lot of players that do it naturally have trouble explaining it to one who doesn't. There are quite a few different approaches,but they all have a lot of similarities.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information