Trumpet Discussion Discuss double register in the General forums; Hey everybody, I had a question that may have been asked here before, but as I am fairly new here, ...
    Albuquerque, NM

double register

Hey everybody,
    I had a question that may have been asked here before, but as I am fairly new here, I thought I'd ask...

Where does the double register begin? I consider F,G, A, and B above high C to be just "high," but I didn't know if that's considered the double register round here.
    I have heard other people refering to those as double G, Double A, etc. But I have heard from a lot of other lead players that the double register begins at DHC.

So what do you all think? Where do the dubbas begin?

Pianissimo User
    Manchester, UK
    I always consider that each note should have a bottom, middle and top octave before you get into doubles. eg.

bottom C - leger line below the staff
    middle C - 3rd Space in staff
    High C - 2 leger lines above staff
    Double C - 6 spaces above

This does mean, however, that 'high' notes finish with 'High F' 4 spaces above the staff, and 'double' notes start with 'Double F#' 5 leger lines above the staff. This is because bottom F# is 3 leger lines below the staff but bottom F is first space on the staff.

Thats my way of thinking anyway, and gives each note a bottom, middle, top, double, triple etc.
    Adrian - An Online Home For Brass Musicians

Newburgh, Indiana
    I always thought that:

:treble: :c: is the lowest c without going into pedal tones.
    :treble: :c6: is a staff c
    8va up from :treble: :c6: is high c
    16va up from :treble: :c6: is double c

Therefore, anything above 8va :treble: :c6: is a double starting with D and going to C.

For example, 8va above :treble: :d6: is a double D.

Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist

Piano User
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacon
    I refer to G above high C (two lines above the staff) as high G. From Aflat up to DHC I call double Aflat, double A etc. Above DHC I refer to as little as possible.
    That is how most people I know and I refer to that register.

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    I'm with BB on this one. Being the logical, mathematically based creatures that musicians are we of course change the descriptor at "C" rather than at the beginning of the scale ("A").

Thread Information