Trumpet Discussion Discuss Double tonguing intervals in the General forums; I've been working diligently out of interval exercises in the Arban's and I'm gradually getting better. However, I get worried ...

Double tonguing intervals

I've been working diligently out of interval exercises in the Arban's and I'm gradually getting better. However, I get worried when I play some double tonguing exercises in the Arban's with intervals larger than major seconds. Whenever I play the "ku" notes it sounds as if it's slurred even when I take it really slowly. Can you please help me? Thank you.
    Bach Stradivarius 180/37
    Bach 1.5C

"I built my staccato like the piano; low register with the warmth of the cello; lyrical melodies like the violin; running notes like the clarinet" - Maurice André

New Friend

Re: Double tonguing intervals

You should use which every syllable is easiest to tongue. If ku sounds bad, try using tu gu, which is what I personally use and works beautifully, but then again I also anchor tongue, which is considered incorrect by many, so try things, then decide for yourself which sounds the best and what feels most comfortable.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Pssst! It is hard to do! Practice more and wait for the miracle.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Forte User

Vulgano couldn't have given you better advice.

New Friend

Play it all 'K' tongued...

I think one thing most people don't do when working on multiple tonguing is single tongue the exercise first. This gives you a good aural model for what you want it to sound like. Your goal should be to make your multiple tonguing sound like your single tonguing. When you do this, you will think less of mechanics and just be focusing on trying to match a sound, just like when you learned how to talk...

practice small segments of an exercise first single tongued, then k tongued, then double tongued all at the same speed. And just try to make them all sound like your single tonguing. And keep making your single tonguing sound better...

It takes a lot of time and practice too....

MR

Take a glass of tap water into the practice session. When the tongue gets thick and you feel like you are choking off, take a sip.

I recommend staying with the T and K syllables but tonguing as lightly as possible. Sometimes the image of the air blowing your tongue away helps. The stress is always using too much force when tonguing.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

As rowuk says keep it light, use the T K sound. Support, support. Most tonguing problems are a result of not blowing through the tongue. The air must support the tongue or there are problems. Are you practing the Arban exercises in order? I make my students work on 4 exercises at a time. Starting with the first 4. They don't move ahaead until they have them up to the top tempo marking. Do you use metronome?
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons
    www.bobgriermusic.com

Thread Information