Trumpet Discussion Discuss Double Tonguing - Low Register in the General forums; I'm having trouble w/ double tonguing below a G on the staff. My teacher has been working with me on ...
    New Friend
    Red Hill, Pennsylvania

Double Tonguing - Low Register

I'm having trouble w/ double tonguing below a G on the staff. My teacher has been working with me on this, but it seems the lower I go, the more trouble I have. Mind you, I'm on the comeback trail, about 6 months now, and when I played before I could not double tongue at all. My teacher has worked with me on this and I sound fine above a G. In the lower register, the notes just do not want to come out - at least not when I double tongue. Any tips on mastering double tonguing with lower register notes would be appreciated.
    F Besson International
    Bach 1C

Pianissimo User

Re: Double Tonguing - Low Register

Clarke's number 2 - that's what I'm working on right now (almost literally, as I just put my horn down).

Double tongue each note. I'm keeping it between G below the staff and 2nd line G at the moment, and my double tonguing has improved quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrapa View Post
    Well, to be honest, breathing is kind of over-rated. Personally, I think it's for wimps. It may look like I'm breathing, but that's just for show. I haven't actually inhaled since 1997.

Berea, OH

Huggy Has some ideas....These are more like awareness questions....

1.) Can you sense what your airstream is doing? Is it thick and wider or fast and focused?

2.) Are you thinking a little wider with your tongue or are you trying to be very pinpoint with it?

3.) Are you going slow? "To improve something quickly, practice it slowly!"

4.) Can you do breath attacks in the low(er) registers? That's a good indicator if your production is in a good place and if you can't do that, then adding tonguing (especially double) is trying to build on a shaky foundation.

5.) Can you feel the notes "Catch" with the "k" stroke?

6.) Are you wearing a regulation Huggy Daddy fur coat and fedora while practicing? That makes ALL the difference!!! Fo' Shizzle!

Also, don't be afraid to sound like poopy! You have to teach your body what it needs to do. If you practice it, it will improve!

Huggy Daddy

disclaimer: the preceding ideas are all stolen from trumpet players who really know what they're' shizzle!!!
    Laid back....with my mind on my money and my money on my mind.....Tight! And where's my BLING, my Peeps?

There is only one solution: start VERY slowly! TuuuuuuuuuuuuhKuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh (repeat 1000 times), then TuuuuuuuuuuhKuuuuuuuuuuuuh (repeat 1000 times), then TuuuuuuuuhKuuuuuuuuuuh (repeat 1000 times), then TuuuuuuhKuuuuuuuuh (repeat 1000 times), then TuuuuhKuuuuuuhTuuuuhKuuuuuuh (repeat 1000 times), then TuuhKuuuuhTuuhKuuuuhTuuhKuuuuhTuuhKuuuuh (repeat 1000 times), then finally TuhKuhTuhKuhTuhKuhTuhKuhTuhKuhTuhKuhTuhKuuuuuh (repeat 1000 times).
    Make sure that your breathing is only EXHALE. do not try and force your air! Less tension means faster results.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

Totally agree with rowuk... just go RIDICULOUSLY slow. My trumpet professor always has me just pound the ever loving crap out of every note (tu's and ku's alike) really slow, and play them loud and in your face, especially in the low register. It's all about developing muscle memory. Just slowly but surely condition your tongue to work with that thick airstream you need for the lower register.

I also find it good to do exercises (Clarke studies are GREAT for this, as stated by Huggy Bear) only using the ku syllable. Think of how many notes you've played in your life using "tu" verses how many you've played using "ku." No surprise that your ku sound is gonna be a little underdeveloped in comparison if you can get your ku sounding as good as your tu by only playing exercises with ku, you're gonna be better at double (and triple) tonguing all around.

Thread Information