Trumpet Discussion Discuss Double Tounging in the General forums; I'm sure this has been posted before, but I don't have the time right now to search it and this ...
    Pianissimo User
    Gordonsville, TN

Double Tounging

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I don't have the time right now to search it and this problem may apply specifically to me.

I've been trying to learn double tounging for about a 6 month period now and I just can not get it to work for me. I know this is sac-religious when it comes to down to trumpet playing, but Arban's method just isn't working for me. I don't think my "ku"/"kee" is strong enough and I can't get it sound correct. It sounds like my tounge it working really hard, but I'm not really. The attack sounds very muddy and unorganized, but I've done every exercise that J.B. gives us in that section of the book and it just will not clear you for me. Do you have any suggestion for clarifying my attack or simply changing something about the way I approach it all together. I am using Arban you know. I don't know of a better way to go about it. Can you help me Mr. Laureano?
    King Silver Flair 2055S
    Getzen 770 SG Gold Series
    Bundy Series II cornet

Music is a more potent instrument than any other for education. -Plato

Utimate User
    Interestingly, both you and _Trumpet_ wrote in today on similar topics.

What I have found with many students is an overmanipulation of tongue while double tonguing to the point where I can see the Adam's Apple in male students going up and down whereas it should remain relatively quiet.

Many people work too hard and activate the swallowing mechanism when they double tongue. It comes from closing off the first syllable as a preparation for the second. The tongue goes way back in the mouth instead of just remaining more forward.

Just keep your tongue a little closer to the front in both cases and you'll both be fine.

New Friend
    St Paul, MN
    One thing you can do in your practice routine, after you have warmed up and before you start your double tonguing exercises, is to do some Getchell's or some of the first Arban's exercises using just the ku/kee tounge. We aren't going for beauty with this exercise, so really attack the notes hard so that they sound as if you are playing with the front of the tounge. We want to make sure the toungue/mind knows what it has to do. Then move to your double-tonguing exercises and they will seem like a breeze.

I also like to sit in the office and do some double-tonguing practice with no horn. I will sometimes get a bad look from my co-workers, but I'll take it if my double-tonguing gets better.

Good luck.
    Dan Julson

Thread Information