Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pat S
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Doubling On Trombone in the General forums; I recently purchased a P-Bone. Partly for the novelty and partly because I have been wanting to learn to play ...
    Charlotte NC

Doubling On Trombone

I recently purchased a P-Bone. Partly for the novelty and partly because I have been wanting to learn to play trombone for a while. Tonight I started working on the trombone a little. Learning positions and how to read bass cleff. My question is for anyone that has had success with being proficient on both instruments. When I lay the trombone down and pick up the trumpet if feels a little weird and my tone doesn't seem to be as full before playing the trombone. What are some good ways to be able to switch between instruments without losing ground on the trumpet? Is there anything that should be avoided? I want to learn both but not mess up my trumpet playing. I think it would be fun to double in the big band on the same tune for solos.
    Marcinkiewicz CG 470 Bach 3C
    Buzz City Brass
    StarDusters Big Band

Huntsville, Texas

Re: Doubling On Trombone

Talk to Local 357, he is big on doubling. I tried doubling but didn't have the time to devote to it. From what I've hard, you need to double practice time, which makes sense. But like I said, Local will be your man
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

San Antonio

Depends on what you mean by "proficient". I play trumpet, euph, and valve trombone and enjoy them all. If I had to earn a living with a horn, I'd probably have to pick one and stick with it. There aren't enough hours in the day to hold down a job and practice all three to mastery... Not for me, anyway!
    Peter McNeill likes this.

i taught lessons on trumpet, trombone, baritone & french horn. After a while you get used to switching back and forth, But it is a strange feeling at first. I found baritone to be quite easy. Trombone got easier after I worked a little on memorizing the positions. But french horn was tough for me, never liked to play it.
    MF ST 306 .468
    Dennis Wick 4E

Thread Information