Trumpet Discussion Discuss The Dreaded Double Buzz in the General forums; So I've noticed on occassion some of my attacks tend to have this double buzz to them, it's doesn't happen ...
    Houston, TX

The Dreaded Double Buzz

So I've noticed on occassion some of my attacks tend to have this double buzz to them, it's doesn't happen a lot, but it happens, which is enough to bug me, it's really evident on some notes when I buzz on my mouthpiece, I've also heard this happen to a number of pro players, which leads me to believe that this isn't an amateur problem, so what is it that causes that "razz" sound when playing? I hear it when I buzz and can't figure out what to do to get rid of it, I feel like I'm playing in the center, but apparantly not, so, what's the deal? What causes this dilemma? and more importantly, how does one overcome the problem? Thanks all!
    Music isn't a career, it's a way of life.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown
    You might try the Famous Farkas trick: teach yourself to get that double-buzz on command in order to find out what you are doing that causes the double-buzz. (For me, I can make it happen when I close the lips together horizontally [with lips or jaw].) The double-buzz, used correctly, can really gross out string players: play some low ones and yell out “Wow, that sounded just like a double-bass!” Have fun!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New Friend
    did you just change equipment? Any tiny change in your set up, equipment, or the way you play can produce a double buzz until you adjust to it. I think itll just go away in time

Utimate User
    The double buzz is created to to a usually subconcious confusion between the embouchure and the tongue. There is often a lack of motion in the supportive abdominal muscles (in english, the abs are unnecessarily stiff) at the same time but not always.

In other words, the embouchure is set for one register and the tongue is set for another. If your "stomach" is stiff instead of fluidly expanding and contracting naturally, that makes it worse.

Here's an exaggerated example: if you set your mind/embouchure to play a middle Ab, for example, but need to play a high Ab, you will get a fairly nasty-sounding double buzz. Clamp down your stomach and you'll get a sound not found in nature. Well, perhaps around mating season....

You must hear the notes before you play them VERY CLEARLY and then play them. You must allow the natural expansion that takes place when you inhale and then allow the natural collapsing of the abs when you exhale just like sneezing or coughing. Blow out a candle from five feet away and you'll see what I mean. Now, play the horn the same way: with a clear objective in mind and as though the horn didn't exist, free from its inherent resistance.

Chicago northern suburbs

Good ideas, so far...

For ME, on those occassions that a double buzz occurs, it is my lower lip that has gotten out of hand - I got sloppy with the set, usually when I'm horsing around with moutpieces of different sizes and shapes. I solve the problem in an instant by just resetting with my proper lower lip set and things are fine.

I don't have the ability to produce a double buzz on demand, though. Hmmmmm... Well, so far nobody ahs aksed to to do one on demand. "Knock on wood..."

Thread Information